• Advertisement

Ice storm

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Re: Ice storm

Postby NJMike » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:59 pm

18" plus near the shore, tapering off to a lot less inland. I'm about a half an hour from the coast and probably have 10-12" now. So far it's just like any other snow storm.

I watched a stray cat get under one of my patio tarps (winter cover for my garden container pots). Tried to clear out some snow after the cover opening got covered up, and to provide the cat a one time pouch of tuna. Ended up scaring the cat out into the woods. Oh well. Kept the tuna since I'm not into feeding any other random critters tonight.

Other than that, no issues here. State of Emergency in effect, so people should be off the roads. Hope all the 1st Responders stay safe.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:15 pm

For those folks dependent on propane heaters with portable bottles - we have found that you go thru some propane trying to warm your place in these low temps. We have a portable, 3 brick heater from Tractor Supply, where the standard 5 gallon tank fits into the back of it and we're on our 3rd bottle since Saturday.
We start our high efficiency fireplace with a blower around 4 or 5 each afternoon and burn til 1030 or 11pm. The propane heater starts up around 7 am and is turned down to the lowest setting or off if possible. We have a one brick propane wall heater in the bathroom - this one is tied into our main household propane tank. In addition, we have a small electric heater in our bedroom that has a thermostat and runs periodically as needed but we keep the setting very low.
Also, I think most people would be surprised at how much wood you burn thru during an event like this. We are pacing ourselves to make our wood last thru the end of this winter season.
Ironically, we just bought the supplies to build a new woodshed. We will be stockpiling more wood in the future.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby dmwalsh568 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:58 pm

Had my 6 month generator check done mid December. So no worries for backup power or heat here, but storm is just snow and wind in my area. Can’t tell how much snow because we’ve been getting wind gusts over 35mph so some areas are almost down to grass while others are piled a few feet high. At least the wind has been blowing snow away from the generator so I haven’t had to go outside to shovel it out just in case we lose utility power.
Hope everyone stays safe and warm!
dmwalsh568

Postby Stahlrosen » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:24 pm

You are SO right Mrs. FP about how much wood you go through! We only have cold and wind here, no precipitation. But at single digits and teens, my wood stove is CRAZY hungry!!!
Stahlrosen

Postby ForwardPreppers » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:10 pm

:rofl: keep feeding that beast! I'm looking at our beautiful, roaring fire right now....4 logs in!
I can hear the forests screaming as everyone is burning their kin!

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby arkieready » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:55 pm

I have kin in s nj. 11 " and subzero temps. One has a gen set and fuel. She doesn't know she is a prepper. :)
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:48 pm

We will be

But I see in Watertown on Saturday, the high is below zero and the low with
wind chill will be 45 below zero. I have never been in such cold as that, brrrr.

Ok, night all
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Cast Iron » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:05 pm

I do understand if you live in the deep south and this kind of weather is a once in a decade event.

But for everyone else, really, you should have on hand alternative methods of heating and cooking as a general prep.

What if the grid went down for an extended period of time?
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Photon Guy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:22 am

ForwardPreppers wrote:For those folks dependent on propane heaters with portable bottles - we have found that you go thru some propane trying to warm your place in these low temps. We have a portable, 3 brick heater from Tractor Supply, where the standard 5 gallon tank fits into the back of it and we're on our 3rd bottle since Saturday.
We start our high efficiency fireplace with a blower around 4 or 5 each afternoon and burn til 1030 or 11pm. The propane heater starts up around 7 am and is turned down to the lowest setting or off if possible. We have a one brick propane wall heater in the bathroom - this one is tied into our main household propane tank. In addition, we have a small electric heater in our bedroom that has a thermostat and runs periodically as needed but we keep the setting very low.
Also, I think most people would be surprised at how much wood you burn thru during an event like this. We are pacing ourselves to make our wood last thru the end of this winter season.
Ironically, we just bought the supplies to build a new woodshed. We will be stockpiling more wood in the future.

Mrs FP

I usually only use the propane heater in emergencies or when its most appropriate for the situation. I used it when I was at Cabela's on Black Friday in November and I was sitting outside waiting for it to open. It opened at 5 AM, I got there sometime around 12 or 1 and already there was quite a crowd. I was using it a bit today since my heating system hadn't been working as well as burning wood in the fireplace but tonight my heating system started working again. I am still having a service technician come over and look at it tomorrow. Those propane bottles last maybe a few hours. I also used the propane heater when I was taking a firearms class last December in Nevada, we would sit outside and it would get quite cold. As I said my heating system is now working and hopefully it will stay working and to make sure it stays working that's why Im having the technician check it out tomorrow.
Photon Guy

Postby rickdun » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:48 am

Cast Iron wrote:I do understand if you live in the deep south and this kind of weather is a once in a decade event.

But for everyone else, really, you should have on hand alternative methods of heating and cooking as a general prep.

Ditto, I thought we were supposed to be preppers.

Where's Al Gore when you need him.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby ajax727 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:46 am

In my area we only got 1/4'' of snow but the temps are now 17 . All animal waters are frozen solid so I have been watering them twice a day using jugs and buckets . Had a pipe to burst but it was at the end of a line so I did not find it till late yesterday , got it capped and recovered .
We have gas logs and a heat pump so we are warm the extra propane tanks are for just in case we need them . I serviced the generator a while back Oil change and filter and cranked it before the cold weather hit . To all stay safe and warm .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby handyman777 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:08 am

rickdun wrote:
Cast Iron wrote:I do understand if you live in the deep south and this kind of weather is a once in a decade event.

Ditto, I thought we were supposed to be preppers.

Where's Al Gore when you need him.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby eochief66 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:17 am

PatrioticStabilist wrote:Sadly we are heading to New York, Friday or Saturday. I may head out Friday with DIL,
DD, and grandson. It's an all wheel drive GMC, so hope it will be ok. We will be loaded
down, I intend to have water, warm clothes, food. Would like to take 5 gallons of gas
extra but would have to strap it on outside. I can see sitting in a blizzard somewhere.
It sounds like it is trekking further east so far, but we will be going through Erie, Pennsylvania
and up along the lakes to Watertown, so don't think it will be good. He needs to report
Monday and house closing is Monday. They are coming with 2 4 wheel drive trucks and
one will be pulling a loaded trailer and they are bringing the dog and cat. We have a
snow plow with us, but its on the trailer!!

Wish us luck.

I assume you are a military family because only crazy people would move to Watertown in January :)
We live about 2 hours south in the Mohawk Valley. The only time we have ventured up that way in the winter was when our son was stationed there a few years ago.
With the wind conditions you can expect to hit "lake effect" snow before or at the NY boarder. Rt 90 is kept in good shape but "white outs" can be expected. When you turn north on Rt 81 you can expect many white outs and blowing and drifting snow across the highway. RT 81 runs parallel to the lake and the road is always bad travel with these conditions.
Take it slow, slow, and mind the conditions and crazies on the roads.
eochief66
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:13 am

Not sure to whom that is directed but we do. We also have a kerosene heater we have in our barn that we found at an estate sale - we actually got 2 but only one ended up being usable. At that time, our plan was this was strictly a BOL with no cabin. We have 100 gallons of kerosene for it. I don't care for the smell of it indoors so we don't use it but should an extended emergency happen, it's one of our backups.

After reading Daisy Luther's interview with Selco about winter in war torn Bosnia, hubs and I had a nice convo going over what we would do if this had been during a SHTF. Obviously, in the Deep South, it is not often this cold for a long time. However, we are experiencing this for more than a week now which is rare.

Keep warm folks!

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby rickdun » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:42 am

ForwardPreppers wrote:

Not sure to whom that is directed but we do. We also have a kerosene heater we have in our barn that we found at an estate sale - we actually got 2 but only one ended up being usable. At that time, our plan was this was strictly a BOL with no cabin. We have 100 gallons of kerosene for it. I don't care for the smell of it indoors so we don't use it but should an extended emergency happen, it's one of our backups.

After reading Daisy Luther's interview with Selco about winter in war torn Bosnia, hubs and I had a nice convo going over what we would do if this had been during a SHTF. Obviously, in the Deep South, it is not often this cold for a long time. However, we are experiencing this for more than a week now which is rare.

Keep warm folks!

Mrs FP

Mrs FP, I don't think it was directed to anyone special but this is the prepper site. I've been a prepper for many years and since joining this site, I've found many holes in my preps and plugged those holes with the help of others here by reading their posts.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

PreviousNext

Return to A.N.T.S.