• Advertisement

Ice storm

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Re: Ice storm

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:44 am

Cast Iron wrote:I do understand if you live in the deep south and this kind of weather is a once in a decade event.

But for everyone else, really, you should have on hand alternative methods of heating and cooking as a general prep.

What if the grid went down for an extended period of time?



this sub-zero crap for a week at a time isn't that common for a majority of the north either - longer than a decade since something like this hit .... we have basically 8-10 weeks of true winter grind to contend with - if this is the worst - I can handle it ....

don't know what the NE did to pizz off the weather gods - but they've caught IT about 5 years in a row now ....
Illini Warrior
User avatar
Illini Warrior
 
Posts: 2724
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:40 pm
Karma: 54

Re: Ice storm

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:49 am

rickdun wrote:Mrs FP, I don't think it was directed to anyone special but this is the prepper site. I've been a prepper for many years and since joining this site, I've found many holes in my preps and plugged those holes with the help of others here by reading their posts.


No worries, I get it and I agree with what you said. We are all (most of us) here to learn.

thanks :D

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
User avatar
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator
 
Posts: 5630
Images: 0
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:38 pm
Location: Georgia
Karma: 77

Re: Ice storm

Postby Cast Iron » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:25 pm

rickdun wrote:
Cast Iron wrote:I do understand if you live in the deep south and this kind of weather is a once in a decade event.

But for everyone else, really, you should have on hand alternative methods of heating and cooking as a general prep.

What if the grid went down for an extended period of time?


Ditto, I thought we were supposed to be preppers.

Where's Al Gore when you need him.


Quite right.

I see this as an opportune time to vett your preps, find holes in your preps.

It is all well and good if you have mass firearm or MMA skills . . . but amount to nothing if your heating is down and you freeze to death.

I heat with wood. I try to keep the normal amount of wood, plus an additional five corded of wood for heating.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
User avatar
Cast Iron
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:02 am
Karma: 13

Re: Ice storm

Postby rickdun » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:32 am

Cast Iron, you're right, my wife say's I'm obsessed with anything that associates with wood/heat, I have a wood burner in the house, one in the garage, an old cook stove in the garage and a spare wood burner in the barn. I have 2 sets of stove pipe, 2 sets of e-bows, extra fire brick and grates for each wood burner.

My garage has 2 cord of fire wood stored in it, 3 cord in the barn and 9 cord stacked in the yard. Enough fire wood to last at least 3 years and I'm still cutting to keep ahead. We burn about 3 or 4 cord a year.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:40 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Karma: 18

Re: Ice storm

Postby Photon Guy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:50 pm

ForwardPreppers wrote:Not sure to whom that is directed but we do. We also have a kerosene heater we have in our barn that we found at an estate sale - we actually got 2 but only one ended up being usable. At that time, our plan was this was strictly a BOL with no cabin. We have 100 gallons of kerosene for it. I don't care for the smell of it indoors so we don't use it but should an extended emergency happen, it's one of our backups.

After reading Daisy Luther's interview with Selco about winter in war torn Bosnia, hubs and I had a nice convo going over what we would do if this had been during a SHTF. Obviously, in the Deep South, it is not often this cold for a long time. However, we are experiencing this for more than a week now which is rare.

Keep warm folks!

Mrs FP

So how is the kerosene heater? You say it smells when used indoors. I saw some kerosene heaters for sale at Home Depot but there was no kerosene, it had all been bought up. They did however have lots of propane and so I bought some bottles. I've got a portable propane heater that I got at Cabela's and it uses 16 oz bottles of propane. Its quite good and it doesn't smell except when you remove a used bottle it smells a little. Im wondering how propane heaters compare to kerosene heaters and what the pros and cons of each are.
Photon Guy
 
Posts: 1672
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 1:53 am
Karma: 6

Re: Ice storm

Postby JoyDog » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:20 pm

Cast Iron wrote:I do understand if you live in the deep south and this kind of weather is a once in a decade event.

But for everyone else, really, you should have on hand alternative methods of heating and cooking as a general prep.

What if the grid went down for an extended period of time?


We have been using the same wood stove for about 35 years. We have propane but have not had to use it. We keep about 3 years of wood and about 2000 gallons of propane. Its going to be about 80 degrees at our house!

It was 160 degrees in our sauna tonight! Our expense for wood last year was about $240.
JoyDog
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:15 am
Karma: 0

Re: Ice storm

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:34 am

Photon Guy wrote:
ForwardPreppers wrote:Not sure to whom that is directed but we do. We also have a kerosene heater we have in our barn that we found at an estate sale - we actually got 2 but only one ended up being usable. At that time, our plan was this was strictly a BOL with no cabin. We have 100 gallons of kerosene for it. I don't care for the smell of it indoors so we don't use it but should an extended emergency happen, it's one of our backups.

After reading Daisy Luther's interview with Selco about winter in war torn Bosnia, hubs and I had a nice convo going over what we would do if this had been during a SHTF. Obviously, in the Deep South, it is not often this cold for a long time. However, we are experiencing this for more than a week now which is rare.

Keep warm folks!

Mrs FP

So how is the kerosene heater? You say it smells when used indoors. I saw some kerosene heaters for sale at Home Depot but there was no kerosene, it had all been bought up. They did however have lots of propane and so I bought some bottles. I've got a portable propane heater that I got at Cabela's and it uses 16 oz bottles of propane. Its quite good and it doesn't smell except when you remove a used bottle it smells a little. Im wondering how propane heaters compare to kerosene heaters and what the pros and cons of each are.


Photon,

Mrs. FP is busy cooking me a warm breakfast this morning. It is 15 degrees here in middle GA this morning. Coldest i have seen it here in years. Speaking from my experience the advantage from using kerosene heaters is that they will run ALOT longer than a propane heater. There is a some smell when using them, but i have found that if it is properly maintained that the smell is barely noticeable. The biggest drawback to using kerosene around here is that it can be hard to find and is expensive. I decide to make the investment in two 55 gallon drums to use only in the event of an emergency if we have a bunch family members show up and need to heat our barn for them to stay in. Our heater will heat that barn to 65 degrees and run all night and into the morning on one tank of fuel.

FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
User avatar
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator
 
Posts: 5630
Images: 0
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:38 pm
Location: Georgia
Karma: 77

Re: Ice storm

Postby handyman777 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:52 pm

Photon Guy you can buy an adapter to re-fill those 1 LB bottles from a 20 LB tank(make sure you follow the instructions).

You can also get an adapter to run your buddy heater off a 20LB tank and you don't have to change your tanks as often.

Dyna-Glo and others make an in door radiated convection heater which work good in an emergency and don't smell.

There is also a forced air kerosene heat but you need (ELECTRICITY) to run them and they do smell and (ARE NOT SAFE FOR IN THE HOME).

I have used these to thaw out cars with frozen fuel line's. quick heat in a garage or out building, also to thaw pipes under a mobile home remove some panels and let the heat blast under the home......

(AGAIN)

USE CAUTION IF THIS IS DONE AND MONITOR TO AVOID A FIRE I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH....

THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU DO BEFORE YOU DO IT....
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:40 am
Karma: 13

Re: Ice storm

Postby rickdun » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:17 pm

Photon, you can get those adapters from harbor freight, use a 20% coupon and save a little more, I have 2 of them.

Like Handyman said, be careful, read the instructions.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:40 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Karma: 18

Re: Ice storm

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:37 pm

I just want to add that the smell is very similar to lamp oil. The clear kind you burn in oil lamps. (I know there are kerosene lamps too). It makes me a little nauseous.
We probably won't ever use it in the house as hubs stated, we bought it for heating the barn or our large tent should we have a crowd out here in an emergency.

There are plenty of folks who use them in their house and have no trouble with them.

When I lived in Spain we had large butane heaters that were similar to our propane one just a little larger and fires were VERY common. People would put them in their bedroom and catch bedding or curtains on fire.

So lesson to be had is proceed with extreme caution with any heating option. Make sure you have smoke & carbon monoxide detectors. And use common sense.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
User avatar
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator
 
Posts: 5630
Images: 0
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:38 pm
Location: Georgia
Karma: 77

Re: Ice storm

Postby rickdun » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:14 pm

Mrs FP, if you're using pure K-1 kerosene (as clear as water), there shouldn't be any smell. But, if you do have a smell, you can use what I sometimes use, if I can't get the pure K-1 kerosene. It's called kero-klean, it's a kerosene fuel treatment and comes in different fragrants. The one we use right now is hollyberry smell.

An 8 ounce bottle will treat 80 gallons of kerosene, 1/2 ounce for every 5 gallon of kerosene.

I bought mine years ago at ACE hardware and use it in my kerosene lamps when I can't get the pure K-1 kerosene.

Off the bottle - Manufactured exclusively for World Marketing of America, Inc., PO Box 192, Mill Creek, PA 17060. Reduces odor, cleans wick, reduces condensation, extends wick life, increases efficiency of kerosene heater.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:40 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Karma: 18

Re: Ice storm

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:03 pm

Thanks so much! That sounds awesome! I assumed all of it was K-1. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to odors? Idk
Aside from making it more pleasant smelling, I'm all for a product that makes things more efficient.

Thanks again for the heads up,
Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
User avatar
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator
 
Posts: 5630
Images: 0
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:38 pm
Location: Georgia
Karma: 77

Re: Ice storm

Postby Photon Guy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:36 pm

Update on my heating system. I posted that it wasn't working but that it had started working Thursday night and that the technician was coming Friday. Well, on Friday morning the heating system had stopped working. Later that day the technician came and took a look at it. He got it working again temporarily but he said its time for a new heater. Since he's been here its been working on and off. I've been keeping a fire burning in the fireplace and I had been using my propane heater but just today I learned that you should not use propane heaters indoors. They're strictly for outdoor use as they give off carbon monoxide so Im not using it anymore. I know, I know, I should've known better. I was told that its OK to use kerosene heaters indoors but not propane heaters. So that is an advantage of kerosene over propane, it can be used indoors. There are kerosene heaters on sale but no kerosene at the hardware store I was at. What I really wish I had was an electric heater. So for now I am just going to keep a fire in the fireplace, hopefully the cold will be letting up soon.
Photon Guy
 
Posts: 1672
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 1:53 am
Karma: 6

Re: Ice storm

Postby rickdun » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:16 pm

Photon Guy wrote:Update on my heating system. I posted that it wasn't working but that it had started working Thursday night and that the technician was coming Friday. Well, on Friday morning the heating system had stopped working. Later that day the technician came and took a look at it. He got it working again temporarily but he said its time for a new heater. Since he's been here its been working on and off. I've been keeping a fire burning in the fireplace and I had been using my propane heater but just today I learned that you should not use propane heaters indoors. They're strictly for outdoor use as they give off carbon monoxide so Im not using it anymore. I know, I know, I should've known better. I was told that its OK to use kerosene heaters indoors but not propane heaters. So that is an advantage of kerosene over propane, it can be used indoors. There are kerosene heaters on sale but no kerosene at the hardware store I was at. What I really wish I had was an electric heater. So for now I am just going to keep a fire in the fireplace, hopefully the cold will be letting up soon.



Sorry to hear about your heating system, we just had a new oil/hot water furnace but in (Nov.), it replaced the original furnace that was put in in 1968. We don't really use the furnace unless we're unable to keep the wood burner roaring.

ALL fossil fuels give off carbon monoxide, gas, propane, oil, kerosene, etc.. I wouldn't worry about your propane heater no more then I would worry about our gas stove.

You ever thought about getting a fireplace insert, they really throw the heat, even without the fans being used? Just make sure you have carbon monoxide detectors, we have three of them, one on each floor.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:40 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Karma: 18

Re: Ice storm

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:28 pm

Sorry Photon but propane heaters are safe for indoor use IF you have one that is rated for indoor use. Not all propane heaters can be used indoors so you must choose one for your intended use. You can even search "indoor propane heaters" at many retailers. I think it must have an ODS - oxygen depletion sensor - for indoor use.

We purchased our wall mounted, 1 brick propane heater for the bathroom from our local propane company that installed our tanks and supplies our propane. We have friends who have larger units installed in their homes as well.

A CO detector is a must if you have gas in your home - should something be faulty, it will save your life. We had one go off in our camper once, come to find out it was just old and needed to be replaced but it certainly scared us in the middle of the night!

One thing we don't do is run them at night while we are asleep, I'm just too cautious for that but we do like it colder when we sleep.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
User avatar
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator
 
Posts: 5630
Images: 0
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:38 pm
Location: Georgia
Karma: 77

PreviousNext

Return to A.N.T.S.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for the APN Email Newsletter - Enter your e-mail address below


  Links and Resources
  -Links
  -Podcasts
  -Free Ebooks



Trusted Sponsors











Copyright
For Notices of Copyright infringement and to contact our DMCA Agent please follow the link below:
Copyright Policy

For terms of use, rules, and policies please read our Disclaimer