• Advertisement

reloading question

Topics about guns

reloading question

Postby keysbottles » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:01 pm

I'm a newbie reloader and have a question about casting my own bullets. Will bullets that I cast from wheel weights cycle through a semi-automatic weapon?
keysbottles
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:33 pm
Karma: 0

Re: reloading question

Postby Fullmoon » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:25 pm

Not sure, have never tried them in an autoloader. I have had jams using lead tipped hunting rounds in the M1A and AR rifles but they are very rare. Muzzle velocities out of an AR are too fast for non jacketed bullets and they will disintegrate in flight.
Fullmoon
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:32 am
Karma: 10

Re: reloading question

Postby Defcon09 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:59 am

I guess someone will correct me if I'm wrong on this! A couple decades since working with lead.

Commercial loaded lead is harder and mostly used in revolvers. Softer lead will collect on the ramp of a semi and leave more deposits in the barrel and cleaning is a 100% duty after even a 1 mag round. I'd stick with a harder lead, and even at that, FMJ bullets are not that much more when factoring in the cost of melting lead and time involved.
User avatar
Defcon09
 
Posts: 893
Images: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:23 pm
Location: Berkeley Springs, WV
Karma: 38

Re: reloading question

Postby John Galt 1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:38 am

Defcon09 wrote:I guess someone will correct me if I'm wrong on this! A couple decades since working with lead.

Commercial loaded lead is harder and mostly used in revolvers. Softer lead will collect on the ramp of a semi and leave more deposits in the barrel and cleaning is a 100% duty after even a 1 mag round. I'd stick with a harder lead, and even at that, FMJ bullets are not that much more when factoring in the cost of melting lead and time involved.


Correct, You want to add something to harden the lead to minimize lead deposits so your semi-auto will continue to load and cycle properly. But yes, you can use cast bullets in semi-autos, just plan to clean more often.

Adding antimony will allow you to quench harden the lead bullets. Or adding 1 part tin to 20 parts lead also works well.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:43 am
Location: GA
Karma: 1

Re: reloading question

Postby apache235 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:02 pm

Wheel weights are a lot harder than plain lead. Use them with no fear in a semi-auto pistol. I shot them for years out of a .45 ACP with no problems. The faster you push then the more leading you will find in the barrel. I have't loaded them in a 9mm as I wasn't shooting a 9 at the time, but wheel weights out of a .357 worked well and yes I did clean the revolver after EVERY firing. If you are shooting a wheel gun a Lewis Lead Remover will be your best friend. Just remember to flux often while you are casting.
apache235
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:02 pm
Karma: 6

Re: reloading question

Postby danthman114 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:47 am

not all wheel weights are lead so be aware. some are zinc and will completely ruin a melt if it mixes in with the lead. you can shoot lead through a semi auto. your best bet is head over to the cast boolit website and read up. yes I said boolit. not a typo. that said, with rifle velocities, you need gas checks and you need to properly size the projectile. in order to do that properly you first need to slug the barrel and measure the slug so you know what size to size to. you can just get something common and it would work but if the projectile is too big it will lead the barrel, or if too small it could effect accuracy or cycling. i only cast for pistols, muzzle loaders and will be casting for my 30-40 krag.
User avatar
danthman114
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:05 pm
Location: Yuma, Az
Karma: 19

Re: reloading question

Postby keysbottles » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:29 pm

Thanks for the replies. I had read somewhere that wheel weights were an alloy and were good for revolvers. I'm thinking for when I can't order supplies some day. It is cheaper to stockpile free wheel weights than buying precast bullets.
keysbottles
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:33 pm
Karma: 0

Re: reloading question

Postby danthman114 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:55 pm

wheel weights vary. some are zinc. the lead ones have antimony to harden them. most molds mold for use with gas checks...
User avatar
danthman114
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:05 pm
Location: Yuma, Az
Karma: 19

Re: reloading question

Postby keysbottles » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:59 pm

How do I determine the zinc form lead?
keysbottles
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:33 pm
Karma: 0

Re: reloading question

Postby danthman114 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:03 pm

get on cast boolits. they have charts that show the cast marks. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... el-Weights
User avatar
danthman114
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:05 pm
Location: Yuma, Az
Karma: 19

Re: reloading question

Postby keysbottles » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:13 am

danthman114, I checked this site out,,,great!!! Just what I needed,,I bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks!!!
keysbottles
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:33 pm
Karma: 0

Re: reloading question

Postby eochief66 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:24 am

danthman114 wrote:not all wheel weights are lead so be aware. some are zinc and will completely ruin a melt if it mixes in with the lead. you can shoot lead through a semi auto. your best bet is head over to the cast boolit website and read up. yes I said boolit. not a typo. that said, with rifle velocities, you need gas checks and you need to properly size the projectile. in order to do that properly you first need to slug the barrel and measure the slug so you know what size to size to. you can just get something common and it would work but if the projectile is too big it will lead the barrel, or if too small it could effect accuracy or cycling. i only cast for pistols, muzzle loaders and will be casting for my 30-40 krag.


FUAC!
eochief66
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:51 pm
Karma: 9

Re: reloading question

Postby danthman114 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:30 am

eochief66 wrote:
danthman114 wrote:not all wheel weights are lead so be aware. some are zinc and will completely ruin a melt if it mixes in with the lead. you can shoot lead through a semi auto. your best bet is head over to the cast boolit website and read up. yes I said boolit. not a typo. that said, with rifle velocities, you need gas checks and you need to properly size the projectile. in order to do that properly you first need to slug the barrel and measure the slug so you know what size to size to. you can just get something common and it would work but if the projectile is too big it will lead the barrel, or if too small it could effect accuracy or cycling. i only cast for pistols, muzzle loaders and will be casting for my 30-40 krag.


FUAC!



huh?
User avatar
danthman114
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:05 pm
Location: Yuma, Az
Karma: 19

Re: reloading question

Postby eochief66 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:37 pm

Bullet is pronounced "boolit' by FUAC our governor.
eochief66
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:51 pm
Karma: 9

Re: reloading question

Postby danthman114 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:11 pm

lol, you lost me... I have no idea what your talking about. what is fauc?
User avatar
danthman114
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:05 pm
Location: Yuma, Az
Karma: 19


Return to Guns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for the APN Email Newsletter - Enter your e-mail address below


  Links and Resources
  -Links
  -Podcasts
  -Free Ebooks



Trusted Sponsors











Copyright
For Notices of Copyright infringement and to contact our DMCA Agent please follow the link below:
Copyright Policy

For terms of use, rules, and policies please read our Disclaimer