• Advertisement

Re-Purposing Small Containers

Do-it-yourself and How To. Tips, plans and construction of things such as Root Cellars, Green houses, Dog houses, and more...

Moderator: mmpaints

Re-Purposing Small Containers

Postby NJMike » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:35 pm

I happen to save my Mentos gum and Altoids containers. I'd actually developed a short term Altoids habit after seeing how the containers could be used, but I've gotten a bit better. :)

I was consolidating my unused containers today, and was curious to see how others here are re-using these. Perhaps there's an idea I could borrow.

The small metal Altoids containers are commonly used among many Preppers as a small EDC with various items, and can also be used to make char cloth. I also store loose change in these, and was thinking of sorting seeds into them too. Anyone using these for the same or something else?

The smallest Mentos gum and similar plastic gum containers do have a sealing lid so offer some protection from water. I've stored USB thumb drives in these and plan to separate out some bulk size OTC medications and vitamins into these as well. Anyone collecting these containers for other uses?

Not quite "containers", but I re-purpose towel and tp cardboard tubes for storing fire-starting dryer lint, and when full I crimp down the ends like those old coin wrappers no one seems to use much anymore. Plastic straws can be used in a similar fashion with the ends melted shut for other items (e.g.- salt or other dried condiments, medications).

Any other re-purposed small containers worth mention and how are you using or planning to use them?
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Re: Re-Purposing Small Containers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:38 pm

This isn't a small one but I repurpose the gallon vinegar jugs for shampoo. One I have that I filled with regular bottles of Vidal Sassoon shampoo that I got cheap with coupons, the other we are currently emptying the hotel shampoos that hubs gets when on the road - that one is almost filled. This tidbit I got from ReadyMom years ago - it got rid of a lot of single bottles and waste.

I reuse the toilet wipes containers for wipe refills but also facial wipes refills. The refill packages are often cheaper. I plan to reuse these with homemade personal cloths.

We also save tp and pt rolls and fill with lint for fire starters. You can also take several tp rollers and fold them into one longways to make a lasting kindling log. Also, the more sturdy roll inside a foil or plastic wrap box makes good kindling.

Saw a post on a blog that you can repurpose the large whey protein containers to store your homemade laundry detergent - thought that was a good one.

I save small glass jars to use for homemade dressings, marinades or spice mixes. The larger glass jars I use when opening a can of something that I won't be using all of - like olives or sauce. They can even hold crackers, nuts and candy. I think saving glass jars of all sizes with nice fitting lids is a good idea and better than storing in plastic. You will find over time even the plastic lids of your glass storage containers will split or warp.

I have to admit that I don't keep a lot of small containers but do use the larger ones to consolidate things for easier storage and less waste.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby John Galt 1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:14 pm

I think the Motts 48 oz applesauce containers are especially useful.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby Stahlrosen » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:43 pm

I save glass jars for all kinds of storage, small items like screws, cage clips, etc. I also save plastic containers like yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, etc. for seed starting or transplanting small plants.
And because we make our own cleaning solution which contains vinegar and alcohol, I save the square alcohol bottles, cut the bottom off, and use as "mini greenhouses" to direct sow things like tomatoes.
Stahlrosen

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:48 pm

Ooh I forgot about the yogurt cups! Hubs hasn't eaten those in so long I forgot about them. They're stored in my shed - for seed starting. Got a pretty good stash of those.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby IceFire » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:58 pm

I use the containers that the Crystal Light tubes come in for storing seeds--I don't have to worry about seed packets getting wet, especially when I take them out to the garden to plant. We also wash out and save ice cream containers for storing nails, screws, and such, and don't have boxes falling apart and spilling the contents all over the place.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to DIY and How-To