Are you really prepared?

General Preparedness Topics Relating to your Family

Moderators: IceFire, medic94

Are you really prepared?

Postby eochief66 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:07 pm

I thought this was worth reposting.
I copied this from another forum!

"Good Day Everyone,

Just another thought of the day for all non-existent people in this group (not the 5-6 people who post something). As far as I am concerned, they are probably just animated bots [​IMG]:)

SHTF is an entity that takes great takes delight in dropping by unannounced and seeing you at your worst: still in your underwear, out of coffee, and taken utterly by surprise.

SHTF never occurs at ANY convenient time, nor does SHTF care about ANY of your shit-for-brain prepping excuses.In fact, SHTF thrives and grows exponentially under more
adverse circumstances and the greater the "unpreparedness" you have, the greater the impact on your life.

So Suck It Up Fuzzball, put on your boots, and power through it.

- SHTF doesn’t care about inclement weather – snow, hail, tornadoes, pouring rain, and hurricanes all just add to the party atmosphere for SHTF.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you sprained your ankle, broke your leg, or are otherwise less than ambulatory. If you have to bug out without a vehicle, you have to bug out, regardless of your injury status.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you decided to start prepping after you take that trip to Disney-world (because how can you do it before? That trip is expensive!!!!)

- SHTF doesn’t care that you are on a boat in the middle of the ocean, regardless of what you paid for the luxury cruise.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you had planned to get your vehicle repaired. You have to evacuate regardless of the leak from the oil pan, the condition of the brakes,
and the funny noise in the transmission.

- SHTF doesn’t care that the entire family is ill with the stomach flu. The entire family will just have to pause to throw up while bugging out.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you need new hiking boots, or some winter boots and that you just haven’t had time to get to the store and buy them. You’ll be walking through the apocalypse, in 2 feet of snow, in the ratty shoes you have with the sole half torn off.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you planned to buy some emergency food with your next paycheck. You’ll be dining on a can of peaches and some stale crackers.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you always use electronic banking. If the ATMS are down and you have no cash, you cannot buy anything.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you had planned to get the propane tank refilled and now the propane trucks aren’t running because of the ice storm that has turned your neighborhood into a mini Arctic Circle.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you used all your ammo at the range and Walt-Mart has been out for the past month.

- SHTF doesn’t care that both the store and Starbucks are closed because of a power outage and you are totally out of coffee because you didn’t build, even a small stockpile.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you are wearing high heels when your car skids in slippery/icy road conditions and you end up in a ravine, you can't find your cell phone, or there is no service, or the battery is dead etc – you still have to climb out of the car and the ravine in those high heels.

- SHTF doesn’t care that the pharmacies are closed because of a pandemic and that you have no OTC medications or home remedies – if you catch the virus,
you will suffer through it without medicine to treat it. And so will your kids.

- SHTF doesn’t care that your truck is almost out of fuel and the local gas stations have closed because of the disaster. If you have to bug out, you may end up walking instead of driving.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you are depressed because you just broke up with your spouse, boyfriend, or girlfriend etc.

- SHTF doesn’t care if you’re in a funk because you lost your job or your dog died. poo poo happens when poo poo happens.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you have made a rock-solid plan to get in shape – as soon as the weather warms up. You’ll be sucking wind as you hurry up that hill in the cold.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you are visiting your in-laws, the most unprepared people on the planet, and you failed to put some emergency food, water, and supplies in the trunk of your car.

- SHTF doesn’t care that your wood is not dry. It’ll bring you a blizzard if it wants to bring you a blizzard and laugh its (Censored word. I'm a potty mouth) off as you try to stay warm.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you have 300 pounds of beans, wheat berries, and rice but failed to plan on a way to cook them.

- SHTF doesn’t care that you don’t know how to cook over an open fire without inflicting 2nd-degree burns on yourself.

- SHTF doesn’t care if you have only a week’s supply of toilet paper – if the crisis lasts longer than a week, things will be progressively less pleasant regardless of your intention to purchase more Charmin.

- SHTF doesn’t care you planned to reinforce your door frame, install a metal security door, and build a safe room – if thugs arrive to invade your home, your hollow core doors will serve as a minor inconvenience instead of a deterrent.

- SHTF doesn’t care if you think guns are bad and scary. Rest assured, if you don’t have one, the people coming to take your supplies will.

- SHTF doesn’t care if you think “doomsday preppers” are bat crap crazy, if you don’t believe the fecal matter is headed towards the oscillating device, or whether you think it’s all an alternative media conspiracy theory. Whatever your excuse may be, you may rest assured, SHTF won’t care about that either.

You already know the things that you should be doing to prepare for a disaster. When SHTF arrives in what ever shape and form it chooses, your procrastination will cause you and your family to suffer because of it. Most of the time, it’s an inconvenience, but in some cases, a lack of preparedness can mean the difference between life and death.

The World is not getting any better and becomes more dangerous to you and I by the minute.

The neon signs couldn’t be blinking any brighter.

No more excuses. SHTF won’t wait to visit you when it’s convenient for you.

On a personal note: I’m am going to take care of the poo poo that I need to do, and act on it accordingly.

Tomorrow of course [​IMG]
eochief66
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Re: Are you really prepared?

Postby rickdun » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:45 pm

Well said eochief66, well said.

There will be a bunch of them fuzzballs out there if and when the SHTF. Just look at the past 12 months of disasters, hurricanes, tornadoes, wild fires, flooding, mud slides, heavy snow, freezing temperatures, etc.. And these fuzzballs won't even evacuate when they are told to leave and then they are now deceased, sad, very sad.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:10 pm

even after reading all the horror stories in the after action reports - my best is still one more recent from Storm Sandy and Manhattan NYC ....

a news outfit caught a Millennial coming out of store - proud he got himself a couple of cans of soup and a pot - going home with the victory to see if he could figure out the apartment stove - it's never been used .... my question - did he have a can opener ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby John Galt 1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:05 pm

With the "incoming ICBM warning" Hawaii got this morning I suspect that a lot of people out there are thinking hard about preps tonight.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:11 pm

Maybe he was at least smart enough to buy the pop top kind! Lol

But the original post was well worth sharing because I truly believe it will hit the fan at the worst possible time!

Like getting the missle alert at the crack of dawn while you're still in bed....hello Hawaii :eek:

Just like your heat goes (Censored word. I'm a potty mouth) up in a winter storm, your generator starts acting up when the power goes out, your holding tank for your well will be almost empty too....the list goes on and on.

We can all hope and pray it happens when we can plant (more of) a garden, have good weather or the kids are home from school but most likely it will be in the dead of winter, your attempt at your winter garden sucked, a fox got all your chickens, your spouse is traveling for work three states away and your weekly or monthly grocery run would've been the next day!

God help us all,
Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:13 pm

John Galt 1 wrote:With the "incoming ICBM warning" Hawaii got this morning I suspect that a lot of people out there are thinking hard about preps tonight.

Totally agree. Hubs and I both said, maybe this will knock some sense into some folks.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby daaswampman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:21 pm

I used to think I had all the bases covered and honestly I am as well prepared as anyone I have ever met. A few years ago I was walking in the yard, hit a slick spot and did a perfect split. Great for a twelve year old girl in gym class, not so much for a guy in his sixties. Three months later I was able to walk on uneven surfaces or use the stairs.

Lesson learned - you are only as good as your worst day! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:56 pm

I hearby withdraw any claim to preparedness. I'm not a prepper. Obviously.
I have a bad cold, terrible chest cold. No aspirin. No cough syrup. Only ibuprofen and mucinex. Low on propane. And the water is froze. No kidding.
I have 10 gallons of drinking water and the weather is clear. Frigging cold, but clear.
Whiskey and honey. And lemon for a toddy.
The part about the shoe with the sole half ripped off isn't even funny. I blew out my sneaker the other day. I have boots but they AINT made for walking.
I can't make this up.
Hello, SHTF.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby Blondie » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:08 pm

Joining Arkie

Car broke down and you're in heels? Check
Car blows a heater hose at 9pm in the 'hood on your way home from class? Check
Stuck at work for 3 days in a blizzard that wasn't forecast? Check
Walk to get repaired car....3 miles in a pair of blow out tennies in 15 degree temps? Check
Walking pneomonia and no health insurance? Check

It's how you deal with the poo when you have no resources that will teach you to survive.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:25 pm

[quote="ForwardPreppers"]Maybe he was at least smart enough to buy the pop top kind! Lol

But the original post was well worth sharing because I truly believe it will hit the fan at the worst possible time!

Like getting the missle alert at the crack of dawn while you're still in bed....hello Hawaii :eek:

Just like your heat goes (Censored word. I'm a potty mouth) up in a winter storm, your generator starts acting up when the power goes out, your holding tank for your well will be almost empty too....the list goes on and on.

We can all hope and pray it happens when we can plant (more of) a garden, have good weather or the kids are home from school but most likely it will be in the dead of winter, your attempt at your winter garden sucked, a fox got all your chickens, your spouse is traveling for work three states away and your weekly or monthly grocery run would've been the next day!

what can really help is if you have a dependable person on that 3rd Shift that can keep track of any overseas problems - that Middle East to Korea part of the world is day opposite for us - leaves that overnite period vulnerable for most of us ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby IceFire » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:25 pm

It's Murphy's Law"...the "stuff" will ALWAYS happen at the WORST POSSIBLE TIME!

Which is why we need to get OUR "stuff" together ASAP! It is NOT possible to have EVERYTHING done at once, but if you start with the most critical things first, then you at least have a good start, and can proceed from there.

I have a list of "projects" that I want/need to get done. Every time I get the next thing on my "list" done, I breathe a little bit easier. Then, I'm moving on to the NEXT thing on my list.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ajax727 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:06 pm

If the alert had been real and the next ones would have been for the west and east coast I would have been screwed . I was sick as a dog but not from the flu but food poisoning I was useless . I am always adding to our preps an or supplies . Like with the cold snap I added propane tanks , gas and fuel even though I had plenty on hand .
A friend asked about my stacks of firewood because I can't burn wood because of my O lady has asthma then why do I have wood on hand I told him it was simple better to have it and not use than need it and not have it . Like most of us I do find holes in our preps or the need to add items and I try to patch or add them but like Murphy law it happens at the wrong time . If shift happens at the right time we all would be ready for it but like the post said it want .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby Cin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:16 pm

I'm with IceFire - we just keep on prepping, checking stuff off the list that we need to get done. We always prep, and if plans change, such as # of people who might arrive (we have family reunions once a year, and I've talked to a few of the like-minded family members) we shift some planning to accommodate. We are watching the situation in Europe right now, I have a brother (and his family) in Germany, which appears to be turning into that word that President Trump apparently didn't say. I suspect it won't take much for Brother to come back home, and if he does, we'll need him here. He's pretty much agreed. :)

We're in a pretty good place, but we've talked about how far away the kids are, and when one of us has to go to Big City for a doctor's appt. The go-bag goes in the car, but it's still scary to think about.

We had an unexpected sleet storm a few days ago. Husband and I weathered it just fine, but our neighbor stopped by to tell us his wife got stuck in town all night. Fortunately, they had family there, so it wasn't like she had to go to a hotel, but he was angsty about her not being prepared for that. I'll bet she has a go bag in the back of the car, now.

Lots of thoughts bouncing around in my brain - missile defense wasn't really one of them...but now, I'm wondering. Dig a hole? Find a cave? Or just keep on keeping on?
Cin

Postby mkcr5921 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:17 am

We were SO Unprepared for the Saturday fake missile threat. Had, breakfast then sat around drinking coffee with husband and -- then BAM! Cell phones blaring and then that awful message. Totally terrified and stood there asking each other, "what should we do?" Neighbors we're running and screaming. Thank God we don't live in a metropolitan area. I can't imagine how crazy and out of control people would be in a real crisis! All our preps seemed like a waste of time at that moment. At the time we figured we had about 12 minutes to live. I do believe if we do get a real notice of an incoming icbm it will be at the most unlikely time. And I mean, how prepared can you really be for something like that?

The logical part of my brain tells me that this week is no different than any other because the message wasn't real, but the other part of it still remembers the raw terror I felt on Saturday, and I can't get it out of my head. It didn't happen, but the feeling of it is stuck in my brain.

We are told that if we aren't in the immediate blast area, its very survivable, assuming you can find a shelter to get out of the radiation for a couple weeks. All the prepping in the world won't help us if we don't have an underground shelter, which do not. Few residents have
emergency shelters and our homes don't have basements. We are trying to figure out funding
to build a shelter on our property since our Hawaii has no public shelters. Probably unnecessary, but I just can't make that bad feeling go away, so a shelter is next on my list of important preps.

Still petrified and dreading the day I see a real message on my phone.

Warm Aloha and blessings to all of you suffering thru the ice and snow storms. Take care-
mkcr5921

Postby rickdun » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:10 am

mkcr5921 wrote:We were SO Unprepared for the Saturday fake missile threat. Had, breakfast then sat around drinking coffee with husband and -- then BAM! Cell phones blaring and then that awful message. Totally terrified and stood there asking each other, "what should we do?" Neighbors we're running and screaming. Thank God we don't live in a metropolitan area. I can't imagine how crazy and out of control people would be in a real crisis! All our preps seemed like a waste of time at that moment. At the time we figured we had about 12 minutes to live. I do believe if we do get a real notice of an incoming icbm it will be at the most unlikely time. And I mean, how prepared can you really be for something like that?

The logical part of my brain tells me that this week is no different than any other because the message wasn't real, but the other part of it still remembers the raw terror I felt on Saturday, and I can't get it out of my head. It didn't happen, but the feeling of it is stuck in my brain.

We are told that if we aren't in the immediate blast area, its very survivable, assuming you can find a shelter to get out of the radiation for a couple weeks. All the prepping in the world won't help us if we don't have an underground shelter, which do not. Few residents have
emergency shelters and our homes don't have basements. We are trying to figure out funding
to build a shelter on our property since our Hawaii has no public shelters. Probably unnecessary, but I just can't make that bad feeling go away, so a shelter is next on my list of important preps.

Still petrified and dreading the day I see a real message on my phone.

Warm Aloha and blessings to all of you suffering thru the ice and snow storms. Take care-

Listen Mkcr, I'm sure you're not alone. A basement is very nice to have but you have to make the best of what you got. Get yourself lots of duck tape, plastic sheeting, tarps, protective clothing, iodine tabs, etc. and use it to block every opening of your home. Hopefully you have enough food, water and all the other preps to outlast the fallout, as long as you're not within the blast area.

Good Luck
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Next

Return to General Family Preparedness