• Advertisement

New Member - Carson Valley - ham radio operator

Please introduce yourself here

New Member - Carson Valley - ham radio operator

Postby cauhape » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:54 pm

Hello!

I've been prepping for a number of years, but just found this forum today. I've been living in the Carson Valley,
south of Carson City, for 7 years now and still loving it.

I also have an announcement to make: I will be teaching a Ham Radio course through the Community/Continuing
Education Dept of Western Nevada College, starting on January 31st.

The course "Ham Radio - Prepare for Your First License" is designed to prepare you to take the FCC Technician License
exam at the end of the 11 week session. The Technician License gives you all the VHF band, UHF Band, and higher
privileges, which is what you would want to use if you were on foot, or in a Jeep, or traveling by horse back.

Here are the hightlights:

* Dates - January 31st through April 11th (11 sessions)
* Location - Carson City Campus of Western Nevada College
* Meet - Wednesday evenings, 6:30 to 8:00 PM
* Class cost - $56 (FCC Exam is optional, and $15 extra)

* NO morse code requirement
* NO prior electronics background required
* NO advanced math required
* Radio theory taught in "plain English"

To register, go to http://www.wnc.edu, then select Academics, then Community/Continuing Education, then Carson City.
Select the link HAM Radio.

The Big Question: WHY?

It is my firm belief that the more you know what's going on around you - locally, regionally or nationally - the better
decisions you can make. Not only does ham radio allow you to listen to what's going on, but you can share information
and help others have a clear picture of what's real and what's rumor or disinformation.

I have heard some people suggest that they will just buy the equipment and keep it in a box until they need it. This is
a huge mistake. What makes the radio - and you - useful for communications is your ability to solve problems when they
occur, and the only way to get that skill is by actually using the equipment. If you join a radio club or make a point of
connecting with more experience operators, your learning curve will be a lot easier and you will get the skills you need
with less effort.

There is no better time than right now to learn this skill when the cost of mistakes is trivial, as opposed to when you
really need the skill during an emergency and you can't make it happen. Get your skills _before_ you need them.

I have also heard the objection that people "Don't want to be on a government list."

Ok, I get that. However, keep in mind that there are over 700,000+ _other_ amateur "Ham" radio operators registered
with the government. If you include the hams who have let their licenses lapse, that number is closer to 2,000,000.
Unless you're going out of your way to draw attention to yourself, why would they care?

IIRC, you can use a post office box as your address when you register after passing the test.

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to PM me or post a message if you think it might be of general interest.

Best Regards,

cauhape / K7BCV
cauhape

Re: New Member - Carson Valley - ham radio operator

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:50 pm

Welcome from GA. Glad to have you on board. I am not much help when it comes to Ham radios. There are a lot of folks here that are though.

FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Re: New Member - Carson Valley - ham radio operator

Postby eochief66 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:19 am

Welcome from upstate NY!

KD2KYG
eochief66
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Return to Check In Here Nevada Preppers