• Advertisement

Driverless Auto's

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Driverless Auto's

Postby Cadit » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:38 am

Greetings To All My Prepper Brothers:

I saw and read an article the other day, where GM is coming our next year with a car that has no steering wheel or pedals (gas or brake) in it. I've see advertisements of 18 wheelers that drive themselves also. What's you thoughts, and would you get one? Me; I guess one might call me a control freak, but I want to be in control of my auto.

How about you, what's your take on this and where do you think it will end-up? Also; how will this effect the prepper/survivalist world? Or will some nut job bring it all down before any of it happens?
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: Driverless Auto's

Postby Cast Iron » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:23 am

I have seen studies suggesting Millennials are less likely to own a vehicle, changing the entire automobile ownership dynamic. Hence we have seen the increased push for automated vehicles.
A year ago a fellow prepper did not believe he would see it in his lifetime. He is in his mid forties.
Now, automated vehicles could be here starting in the year 2025, and common by 2035.

The state of CA is pushing for 2040, and even sooner if the technology is there.

I think there will be a rush of people who want control over their vehicles before manual vehicles are phased out.

The question I have is how will insurance rates change?
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby dmwalsh568 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:42 am

Cast Iron wrote:I have seen studies suggesting Millennials are less likely to own a vehicle, changing the entire automobile ownership dynamic. Hence we have seen the increased push for automated vehicles.
A year ago a fellow prepper did not believe he would see it in his lifetime. He is in his mid forties.
Now, automated vehicles could be here starting in the year 2025, and common by 2035.

The state of CA is pushing for 2040, and even sooner if the technology is there.

I think there will be a rush of people who want control over their vehicles before manual vehicles are phased out.

The better questions is why would the consumer need insurance if the vehicle has no manual controls...shouldn't the liability be on the manufacturer, not the owner? :evil:

The insurance question will be much a much harder question for driverless vehicles than the technology, and I'm sure it'll delay things for a while. As long as there are manual controls in a vehicle, then it's easy to blame the person in charge even if they aren't actually driving at the time of an accident.... But once you remove manual control then there are only passengers in the vehicle, no drivers allowed.
dmwalsh568

Postby Fullmoon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:58 am

Large scale farmers have been using driverless tractors to plow their fields for quite a few years. They are programmed to run from a GPS unit via satellite. This system may be alright in wide open cornfields but congested city use with automobiles is another story. Last years test of a roof mounted satellite operating system was a bust, the car crashed so its back to the drawing board. The most reliable system is one which must be embedded into the highway and this would be too expensive to retrofit into all the roadways and city streets. What about the added cost of this equipment to a new vehicle? And then a tax (fee) for its use.
Fullmoon

Postby sageprice » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:07 pm

I suggest that colleges begin using this with driverless buses on campus with remote override and video surveillance. If it works there it can work anywhere.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:25 pm

Most are missing the big picture. There are around seventy million baby boomers and we are getting older evertday. Given the choice of a driverless car or being dependant on others is a no brainer.

Then there is uncle sam! Even at a 100k, they are a bargain compared to medical transportation or housing for patients that should not drive!

Insurance is just the cost of doing business and studies suggest they are safer than most current drivers. The real questions, your liability if you hit one and how long before they are mandatory in urban areas and on major highways.

It is coming and faster than you think. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Cast Iron » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:29 pm

dmwalsh568 wrote:
Cast Iron wrote:I have seen studies suggesting Millennials are less likely to own a vehicle, changing the entire automobile ownership dynamic. Hence we have seen the increased push for automated vehicles.

The better questions is why would the consumer need insurance if the vehicle has no manual controls...shouldn't the liability be on the manufacturer, not the owner? :evil:

The insurance question will be much a much harder question for driverless vehicles than the technology, and I'm sure it'll delay things for a while. As long as there are manual controls in a vehicle, then it's easy to blame the person in charge even if they aren't actually driving at the time of an accident.... But once you remove manual control then there are only passengers in the vehicle, no drivers allowed.

Actually I was referring to those who opt to maintain a manual, non-automated vehicle, e.g. Cadit.
What would their insurance look like if the majority of vehicles are automated, pass all the safety standards.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby NJMike » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:48 pm

We provided bad guys easy access to airplanes on 9/11 to use as guided missiles.

I'm not a fan of an automated driving system that will be hacked, have the GPS messed with, or that can be shut down at the wrong place and time.

Imagine a terrorist using 18 wheelers full of gas or hazardous chemicals as remote bombs, sending a car careening out of control randomly in the middle of a 4 lane busy highway, or using multiple unmanned cars to slam into a large crowd.

No Thanks. I'll take my chances with people that drive like me.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby anita » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:05 pm

Have you seen the video of the Tesla on auto pilot crash into the barrier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ml6sjk_8c

and a fatal crash into a truck.

http://abc7news.com/automotive/tesla-se ... h/1410042/

Of course, it takes time for things to get perfected, but I live in a rural area with winding roads. A bridge nearby is out, but GPS doesn't realize that, so it is sending big delivery trucks (with things for my home renovation) on one-lane roads, roads with covered bridges, roads that have bridges with weight limits, roads with stream crossings, etc.

I think it's a long time before I'll trust a driverless car to drive me anywhere.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby rickdun » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:42 am

As your self driving vehicle is driving off the bridge, the last thing you hear is:

RECALCULATING!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby ajax727 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:11 am

Sounds like a drunks dream . No sir I was not driving I am just drinking and riding .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby Dirk Williams » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:27 am

I just don't see a driverless vehicle in the Williams family's future. I find myself going backward regarding vehicle manufacturing dates. Currently building an old 1961 ford unibody pickup truck as my, in town ride.

This ol boy gets it on. Stopping it's the problem. :shock:

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby oldasrocks » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:42 pm

But can they find a parking place?
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby sageprice » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:04 pm

Lets test them on Liberal democrats.
sageprice

Postby founderant » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:22 pm

When I get so old I can’t drive, I’m gonna get me one of them there driven cars to take me to the liquor store. :p
Americans Networking To Survive
http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/
founderant
A.N.T.S. Founder
A.N.T.S. Founder

Return to A.N.T.S.