• Advertisement

*** After Action Report *** - 1/23/18 AK tsunami bug out

Tips to prepare for natural disasters like Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Tsunamis etc...

Moderator: medic94

*** After Action Report *** - 1/23/18 AK tsunami bug out

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:10 pm

love reading after action reports of real life experiences from prepared preppers - their bug out organization plans - what worked - what didn't - changes needed to made - additional prep supplies required ....

the following AAR pertains to the tsunami warning for Kodiak Island Alaska that occurred on January 23rd following the 8.0 earth shaker that was almost dead center to that island ....

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/printthr ... =40&page=1
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Re: *** After Action Report *** - 1/23/18 AK tsunami bug out

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:48 pm

Good read, thanks for sharing.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby woodchipper518 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:43 pm

Definitely worth reading. I know I've never practiced a bug out. I think I have some things to improve upon.
Is today really SHTF day? Good thing I quit drinking and smoking yesterday. Keep Calm and Reload.
Kilo Golf Five Quebec Papa Romeo (KG5QPR)
woodchipper518
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Location: North Texas - Denton County / Collin County line / 380 corridor

Postby Mollypup » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:46 am

That was a really good read.

While it's good they're revising their plans & supplies to make bug out more efficient, honestly I think they did a bang up job. Those first moments of befuddledness is normal. It didn't last long because they did have a plan/supplies/destination. I had to chuckle over the catching herself starting to dress, then just yanking clothes over top of her pjs. That? That is habit & much harder to break than one might think.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:28 am

my personal observation - according to that AAR many of that church group families just came speeding up to that higher elevation assembly point - empty handed ...

having an opportunity for the group members to pre-position a couple of Action Packers full of personal gear/belongings would be beneficial - perhaps a 54 foot CONEX box positioned in a far unused corner of the parking lot ??? ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby ajax727 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:22 pm

Off topic
I was looking and they have had a 30 + earthquakes a day around the area of the big quake according the data on USGS sight . 120 x 90 miles or around that
It would seem people would have a to go bag packed , clothes , food , cash , and other items . We keep a couple ready if needed . They are also adjusted for the weather , cold now so a pair of coveralls ( my old work ones ) food bars and small can goods , water, instance coffee , tang , Rain gear ( 50 gal trash can bags ) underclothes , shoes , stainless steel large cup . the short list it has more items in it , weighs in around 35 pounds , and yes a weapon and ammo 22mag wheel guns . They are for bad weather , fires or whatever happens . I reckon that is the difference in being prepared and not being prepared .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby ReadyMom » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:28 pm

Mollypup wrote:That was a really good read.

While it's good they're revising their plans & supplies to make bug out more efficient, honestly I think they did a bang up job. Those first moments of befuddledness is normal. It didn't last long because they did have a plan/supplies/destination. I had to chuckle over the catching herself starting to dress, then just yanking clothes over top of her pjs. That? That is habit & much harder to break than one might think.

Agreed! One time, we had to evacuate our home because our carbon monoxide detector went off. Only it wasn't picking up carbon monoxide ... there was some type of gas buildup, under the stairs, next to our sump pump, from the battery back up! Our house could have EXPLODED! Thank G_D for our detector that was hooked up to our house alarm ... that's the one that was sensitive enough to pick it up & go off.

Well, prepper that I am, I have our Grab & Go Binders close by to grab, if there was an emergency. Only, I was so rattled by the unexpected evac and all the geared up firefighters that were in our house telling us to get out NOW, I for got the binders ... and my purse :( . We were running around looking for the cat, putting him in his crate (which we DID have close by to grab ... just not the cat!), getting 2 dogs leashed up & out and waking up 2 sleeping college-home kids. When you are rattled, even best laid plans can go right out the window!
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:58 pm

ReadyMom wrote:
Mollypup wrote:That was a really good read.

Agreed! One time, we had to evacuate our home because our carbon monoxide detector went off. Only it wasn't picking up carbon monoxide ... there was some type of gas buildup, under the stairs, next to our sump pump, from the battery back up! Our house could have EXPLODED! Thank G_D for our detector that was hooked up to our house alarm ... that's the one that was sensitive enough to pick it up & go off.

Well, prepper that I am, I have our Grab & Go Binders close by to grab, if there was an emergency. Only, I was so rattled by the unexpected evac and all the geared up firefighters that were in our house telling us to get out NOW, I for got the binders ... and my purse :( . We were running around looking for the cat, putting him in his crate (which we DID have close by to grab ... just not the cat!), getting 2 dogs leashed up & out and waking up 2 sleeping college-home kids. When you are rattled, even best laid plans can go right out the window!

there's standard step-by-step prep procedures that should transcend across all the possible SHTFs - the kind of stuff you described - should be your Page One of all your SHTF binders ...

might be a good idea to copy it - laminate it - post it in various areas of the house outside the binders - quik glance and a mental checkoff is what you're looking for in those frantic rushed times ...

might sound cruel - but don't die over a cat or any of your animals .... we lose a person or two during tornado season that didn't hit the basement in time because they were searching all the cat hiding places ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Stahlrosen » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:04 am

I have only had to "instantly evacuate" once. About 25 yrs ago, we were in an apartment and the ceiling in my Mom's bedroom caught on fire because the fireplace from the above neighbors started to fall through. fortunately we caught it when we started to smell smoke and I saw the ceiling glowing when I walked in the room. Managed to get Mom in a wheelchair and the two kids out, both dogs, the bird and a bag loaded in the van when the fire dept showed up. The people upstairs were already working on getting the fire out, so other than a large hole in the ceiling, there was no other damage. It was scary though. I was at the time totally unprepared for something like that. The only reason I already had a bag packed was because during times when my Mom stayed with my grandparents, I had to be ready to go and get her at a moments notice if they couldn't take care of her and they lived about 10 hours away. That was a real eye opener on having things ready to go just in case.
Stahlrosen

Postby daaswampman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:05 pm

I know this is small potatoes from having to truly evacuate. Living in tornado alley can be interesting and I have had to run for the shelter twice. Thank GOD we only suffered minor damage both times and were safe and secure in the shelter.

What I learned is there CAN'T BE any last minute stuff! You are either ready to go or your not. There is no time to gather medications, papers, or anything else you might need. Have a duplicate of all that stuff packed and ready.

This has worked for me. Papers and BOB are already in the shelter. ALL needed medications is kept in one drawer in the frig. All my daily junk - wallet, keys, and extra cash rests in one basket near the frig unless it is on me!

Two hints: 1: You need to practice OFTEN. 2: Keep extra clothes where your going and wear pajamas at night. Arriving at your shelter in a tee shirt carrying a cat and then finding your neighbors already there, is not a desirable outcome. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby anita » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:23 pm

That was good info. Thanks for sharing!
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Return to Natural Disasters