• Advertisement

2018 FEBRUARY - What Did you Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Re: 2018 FEBRUARY - What Did you Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Postby Cin » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:37 am

So - we get to keep our dog for a while longer - he had a pain "event" that served as a warning that his degenerative disc disease and arthritis are acting up. Anti-inflammatory and pain meds will be administered daily. He is back to his old self...but because of his rough start and large size, he is aging rapidly. He's 9 years old. The vet estimates with management and care we'll have him a few more years, at most. :(

We're iced over right now, roads are slick, schools are closed. No problem for us, we have plenty of entertainment and chores to do.
Cin

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:30 pm

No watchdog thing coming up this time, good.

Hubs got the stove moved from his dads garage out to ours today, its wood and/or coal, also the stove pipe.
I want him to buy new pipe and additional for it. If we had to it could go in the basement and be vented
through a basement window, thrilled to have it, but hope we don't have to ever use it in here.

He got me a very old gas stove, green and white, very basic last summer to can on. It does use propane
and its in the garage too. Have a small green house he has yet to put up for me. We both fear with the
winds here it will just blow away. He plans to put electric in the garages this month, but water won't
get run till spring. We have gennies we can use out there and in here if needed. Need more fuel tanks
though. I want a big one, he doesn't, said it just draws thieves.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Oldrek » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:19 pm

Drawing up the plans for the "cool" room in the basement. Wife is in the mood to "play in the dirt" since we are having a mild winter out West, so she is prepping her beds and going through her seeds like a little girl sorting her Barbie clothes. :)

Ordered a Katadyn water filter and will get that this week. Buying extra food stuffs each shopping trip to begin the increase, but really need to hold off on too much until the cool room is done.

Have half my armory stocked, but still trying to settle on the best long gun for my needs. Would love to have a M1A on hand, but the cost is prohibitive on a fixed income. Will probably have to settle on a bolt gun in .308 which will fill the bill unless I really have to put a lot of rounds down range quickly.

On a positive note - the wife is coming around to the idea of stocking up (her word for prepping) as long as I don't go overboard for now. One step at a time. :clap:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." — Theodore Roosevelt

“Never confuse Motion with Action.” ― Benjamin Franklin
Oldrek

Postby random_person » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:15 pm

This sounds small compared to what most everyone else is doing, but last week I bought two boxes of cold & flu medication in a 'buy one get one free' deal at Walgreens.

Just used one as I apparently now have the flu.
random_person

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:29 am

We have pigs!!!!!!!!!!
So excited!
We have had wild pigs in our area but not on our property. People were mostly seeing them during hunting season on hunting leases, near water sources. We have a neighbor/friend who set out traps and managed to get 7 piglets. Three families are going in on taking care of them and then butchering when the time comes - 2 of the piggies are our's. We will be building a pen this weekend on some cleared land that is in close proximity to our houses - a short UTV ride down our road.

I named them.....
Sausage, bacon, pork chop...... :p

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby Cin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:39 pm

OldRek and Random,

Welcome to the Forum! If you go into the archives of the General Disaster Preparedness, you'll find the What Did You Do To Prep posts going back a few years. Lots of good ideas for prepping, and lots of ways to do it on a shoestring budget, especially once you're past the beans/bullets/bandages part. This is a big forum and there's a lot of info out there.

As for me - today was grocery shopping day. Restocked what we used.

LTS:
2 jars of peanut butter, will rotate one from LTS in the kitchen as we're out.
Toilet paper (Husband noted with all the company we've had the stock was way low!)
Aluminum foil

Husband went to an auction today - picked up 2 truckloads of hedge apple wood for $40, 2 clamps, and a stainless steel metal table he thinks might work to permanently affix my wheat grinder to. He'll have to do some work to it first, but shouldn't be a problem.

Both new and old truck are parked under the new carport - expecting a snowstorm, so we put the new truck away. The old truck still has the wood in it, Husband wanted to protect it. :)
Cin

Postby IceFire » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:04 pm

ForwardPreppers wrote:We have pigs!!!!!!!!!!
So excited!
We have had wild pigs in our area but not on our property. People were mostly seeing them during hunting season on hunting leases, near water sources. We have a neighbor/friend who set out traps and managed to get 7 piglets. Three families are going in on taking care of them and then butchering when the time comes - 2 of the piggies are our's. We will be building a pen this weekend on some cleared land that is in close proximity to our houses - a short UTV ride down our road.

I named them.....
Sausage, bacon, pork chop...... :p

Mrs FP

NICE! I want to get pigs, but I'm being selective about the breed...just like I was with the cow.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:16 pm

Bought 25 pounds of sugar today at Walmart, the bag was $8.78, also fresh yeast and
baking powder and some bakers chocolate.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby NJMike » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:29 pm

Back from a week out of town, and doing some things back home now. I made 6 tins of char cloth from some destroyed jeans earlier today. I still have plenty of material leftover. What doesn't go into another round of char cloth will be re-purposed best as possible, for example patches set aside for my sewing kit.

Also working on consolidating and sorting hand and small power tools this weekend and likely into next week. This helps for inventory and identifies gaps. For example, I found a partial tap and die set I didn't realize I had. It was among some free tools in an ammo can. I already keep assorted tools in my vehicle, but I'm starting to make it a more standard tool box augmented with extras I've got at home. With multiples, I'll be separating out some task based kits as well.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Defcon09 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:45 pm

Is anyone prepping for or watching the coming grand solar minimum?
Defcon09

Postby catfeet » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:51 pm

GSM? Yep, you betcha! I'm watching, because well, with the exception of a woodstove, which we have planned out, we're set for the most part. Feb has been about pointing the basement and filling up all the holes that mice and crickets get in thru. I'm so done with the mousey winters and the cricket chorus during the summer. My main storage/cool room tho...not sure on exactly when it's getting done. We're expecting a kitchen remodel soonish, (I know, been saying it for a year and a half, but we are waiting on one of 2 property sales to finish.) I want to wait until I know whether or not more foundation needs to be broken before I have to fix it. It's already 15 degrees, plus or minus, warmer down there though, so I'm doing something right. Plus, hey, I get to listen to Jakarta Pandemic again when I do it. :-)
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:18 pm

Not too worried about the GSM, since I'm in southern Arizona (I live here for a reason...do NOT like cold and snow!!!)

Brought the cow home this morning. Right now, she's in the pen with the goats, until I get the new pen for them finished. On that front, I DID get another t-post pounded in, and the panels wired to it, and started pounding in the next t-post, got it MOSTLY in, but ended up leaving with son-in-law to make a run to the dump, then in to town to get a container to put the sweet feed for the cow in. When we got back, hubby wanted to go in to the farm/ranch store, and then to the hobby store next door. He should have known better than to leave me alone in the farm/ranch store...an animal rescue was doing adoptions, and a guy had brought in two dogs and an indoor/outdoor cat...they belonged to his father, who just had to be put into a nursing home, due to alzheimers. Anyway, the cat was just what I was looking for, and the rescue was happy to hand her over (kennel she'd been brought in, and all.) I gave them a $20 donation, so they could feed the other critters. Picked up some kitty litter, litter pan, and scoop. Shee'll be inside for the first week, to get used to us, before I let her out. Right now, she's in the spare bedroom. I put food and water in her dish, and let her out of the kennel--she made a beeline for the food! Took the kennel outside to scrub it...it was filthy...had probably been outside, or in a shed. After scrubbing and drying it, brought it back in, folded up a beach towel in the bottom, so she can use it as a bed. Yeah, right...she's pretty much claimed the people bed in there!
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby mom2grandma » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:09 pm

please tell what char cloth is and what it is used for
thanks
mom2grandma

Postby rickdun » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:17 pm

mom2grandma wrote:please tell what char cloth is and what it is used for
thanks

Char cloth is used to make a fire, it's made from cotton cloth, here's how to make it/use it:

https://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/02/ ... har-cloth/
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:58 pm

Finished with the additional goat pen. Will eventually be moving "the boys" over there. Only thing now is to move their shelters.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Preparedness Discussion