anyone make homemade laundry soap?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    8greenbeans

Just wanted to chime in that I also use Ivory instead of Fels Naptha because I can’t find it anywhere around here!! My recipe consists of simply ivory, washing powder, and borax.

I really need to learn how to make it without the ivory (or fels naptha for that matter) just because I want the knowledge for some of those “what if” situations.

Muzhik

Try this recipe for Castile soap (made with vegetable oils):

Homemade Liquid Castile Soap

Vina8

@8greenbeans wrote:

Just wanted to chime in that I also use Ivory instead of Fels Naptha because I can’t find it anywhere around here!! My recipe consists of simply ivory, washing powder, and borax.

I really need to learn how to make it without the ivory (or fels naptha for that matter) just because I want the knowledge for some of those “what if” situations.

Here is a link to some great soap-making articles on the Walton Feed website that should answer your questions. We have stocked lye, but like Alaska Rose has said, you can make it from ashes if you have to and add it to rendered fat.

http://www.waltonfeed.com/blog/showCategory/category_id/64″ onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

Muzhik

@MountainMama wrote:

Here is a link to some great soap-making articles on the Walton Feed website that should answer your questions. We have stocked lye, but like Alaska Rose has said, you can make it from ashes if you have to and add it to rendered fat.

And just to mention something about making your own lye:

You make it by pouring water through wood ashes, over and over, until it’s strong enough to float a raw egg. If you want to make HARD soap, like for soap bars, you have to use HARDWOOD ashes. If you want to make SOFT soap (like you might want to use in the shower or for washing clothes) use SOFTWOOD ashes. Generally, hardwoods are anything that has leaves; if it has needles it’s a softwood.

IceFire

@Lucky6 wrote:

Fels Naptha Soap is on sale today only for 99 cents @ soapsgonebuy.com

The store where I found it (the only store in town that carries it, as far as I know) sells it for 99 cents a bar all the time.

ReadyMom

😕 😕 QUestion:

How do the materials feel, after using this homemade laundry soap? Is there any difference?

I remember when I taught preschool, we had some kiddos who were from struggling families. Their clothes always felt different than the kids who were obviously more well off financially. The clothes felt like they were probably using less detergent or a very inexpensive detergent. It’s’ hard to explain … almost like there was residual ‘stuff’ still in the material, like it wasn’t completely washed out. I would think Ivory would actually make the clothes feel softer, yes?

Muzhik

It could be that whatever soap they were using wasn’t rinsed all the way out. I’ve found that’s the hardest thing to do when you’re doing laundry by hand. (or by foot in the bathtub.)

Alaska Rose

Yes, usually it is because the clothes are not well rinsed that they hold a residual feel of soap. Also, no fabric softener used on them, either.

roolu

This Fels Naptha soap on here is wonderful. I have several allergies to detergents and couldn’t use very many fabric softeners or store bought soaps anyway. There is no strong odor with this and the fabric is fine.

For a fabric softener I use this recipe:
    2 c. white vinegar
    6 c. distilled water
    2 c. hair conditioner

Pour it all in a gallon bucket, shake it silly! I add it to one of those time release balls you can pick up at Walmart and leave in the washer for entire cycle. This has helped with static electricity also.

8greenbeans

Thank you much for all the great information ladies!!! I really need to start a notebook with all this wonderful information in it … my computer won’t do me much good when I don’t have electricity not to mention internet :

I use plain ole white vinegar, straight, as my fabric softner. It gets rid of all the soap residue (which I have not noticed with the homemade stuff) and leaves the clothes and towels so soft (yet the towels still soak up water unlike with traditional fab softner). We also use a vinegar rinse for our hair to get all the shampoo residue out and it leaves our hair oh so soft amongst other things.

Vina8

I made a 5 gal bucket of soap using Victoria’s recipe. It was very easy and works fine. I put some in a small bucket to keep in the laundry room with a dipper of the right size.

I love APN forum. I would never have considered making my own detergent without all of you posting the how-to’s and your experience with it. Thank you.

victoria

Hi Ladies!
    If anyone wants fragrance in their soap you can add essential oils while your soap is still hot and mix it in or a few drops to your vinegar if you use that as softener. I personally don’t , but I do like to add afew drops of essential oils to the mix when I clean my carpets. I have a great recipe for a homemade carpet cleaner if anyone wants that. And once again it works very very well. Oh and plus I keep a small tub of the homemade laundry soap and a small scrub brush by the sink and we use it instead of Gojo or Lava to scrub the dirt and grease off and it works just as good!

roolu

Hook us up! I’d love to not have pay those prices for that stuff!

GertyGoose

Hi everyone.. just wanted to add my tub’s worth again … 🙂 I follow LDYCHEF2K’s blog and she posted her recipe and let me tell you it’s a really good one… :rofl: My husband missed the smell from store bought soap so I used her idea for the smell..
    I doubled everything except the water and I added 2 cups of some strong smelling liquid fabric softner and I also cut the amount I used from a cup(??) to a cap full. I use a old Clorox 2 bottle and it has the measure cap on it.. it comes out to be just over a 1/3 of a cup. My husband went BONKERS for the smell!! Also a very pretty light blue :crazy:

Blessings GG

Vina8

Gerty, would you please post the link. I am having trouble finding her blog. Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 130 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum