anyone make homemade laundry soap?

This topic contains 129 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  ReadyMom 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 130 total)
  • Author

GertyGoose

Here ya go MtM you will have to look at the old link on the new one it will be off to the side…
    http://krissimplyliving.blogspot.com/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

Blessings
    GG

Vina8

Thanks, Gerty! I can’t wait to give that recipe a try.

Muzhik

Here’s a link to the blog entry with the recipe: http://qjcp.blog.com/2009/09/28/doing-the-laundry-warrants-a-blog-entry/. The recipe is about 2/3 of the way down the page.

picurn87

Because I have a cistern I purchased a top loading washing machine that uses minimal water. It actually uses varying amounts based on the weight of the load. We have been using this laundry soap recipe for about a year now and find that it works better than anything else we used before. It leaves no soap residue on the clothes. We had that problem on the dark pants with other laundry detergents. You should have no problem with it in your minimal water washer :clap:

Alaska Rose

Here is a very minimalist washer, LOL.

roolu

I’ve been looking for one of those, where did you find that? lol

Muzhik

They’re available at Lehmans, costing about as much as a new Kenmore.

roolu

OUCH!!!! I’ll just do the tub and scrub thing!

Alaska Rose

An old hardware store in Fairbanks had them in the back, so weren’t that expensive. However, the city decided the old store had to go, and condemned it. Hated that. Out in the warehouse there were still things stored from gold rush days, LOL.

Vina8

We have a cool old hardware in our town that has the isles so full you can hardly walk through. They have a lot of the old fashion stuff like oil lamps, galvanized wash tubs, wood stoves, etc. The last time I was in there I overheard the elderly owners talking about trying to sell it. 🙁

Alaska Rose

Try to stock up on as much as you can afford from them, first. You will never find such a treasure again.

ReadyMom

Found this, today:

How to Make Lye Soap and Other Homemade Concoctions
    http://farmgal.tripod.com/lyesoapconcoctions.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

Includes:

The History of Soapmaking
      Getting Started
      Soap Recipes

Muzhik

Has anyone tried making soap out of Crisco? I just found some in the back of my cupboard that’s a year past its “best by” date, and I just got to wondering if I could use it to make soap.

ReadyMom

@muzhik wrote:

Has anyone tried making soap out of Crisco? I just found some in the back of my cupboard that’s a year past its “best by” date, and I just got to wondering if I could use it to make soap.

Found this:

Easy Crisco Soap Recipe – Cold Process
    http://www.pureandnaturalsoaps.com/recipe-easy-crisco-soap.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

3 lbs. Crisco (1 can)
    6 oz. lye
    12 oz. water

Melt/heat the Crisco in a enamel pan and place on stove to melt and heat.

Place cold water in a glass bowl and slowly add lye while stirring with a wooden. Stir until water is clear if you can.

When the Crisco and lye are warm to the touch, pour lye into Crisco while stirring. Keep stirring until you get trace.

Trace is when it thickens to the point where you can drop some of the mix back in to itself and it leaves a trail. At this point use any herbs, scent, or coloring and stir and pour mold(s). This recipe fits nicely in an 8×8 inch container, but other containers, such as pringles cans or specialty soap molds work just fine, too.

Put molds in a warm, insulated place, let set 24 hours and then cut. Place on to rack and let cure for 2-3 weeks.

=====================================

The Easiest Soap Recipe
    http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art50789.asp” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

g Soapmaking Site
    Winsome Tapper
    BellaOnline’s Soapmaking Editor

g

The Easiest Soap Recipe

Crisco® soap is probably the easiest soap you’ll ever make. It was my first successful soap recipe. I cannot remember where I found the recipe on the internet, but what attracted me to it was that it seemed simple and I did not have to try to understand much to make it. This recipe is excellent for those who may be a bit daunted by the various oils and calculations that accompany other soap recipes.

Hydrogenated fats were created to replace oils that were in short supply for soap making during the nineteenth century. Unfortunately, these were later used to replace vegetable and animal fats used in frying and the baking industry. Hydrogenated fats, though they exist as pariahs amidst the American health conscious craze, are heroes in the soaping room.

Hydrogenated fats are the unsung heroes of soapmaking oils. Hydrogenated oils, when combined with other base oils are the perfect starting point to an unlimited repertoire of creative oil combinations.

Why?

1. Produce a hard bar of soap
    2. Inexpensive
    3. Abundant supply – even for those living in Tiny Town America
    4. Juxtaposed next to or amidst any other ingredient, hydrogenated oils which are usually made from refined soybean oil, allow other ingredients to shine through.

Ingredients
    3 pound can Crisco® shortening
    6 ounces lye
    12-18 ounces water
    2-3 ounces fragrance (0.75 – 1 ounce per pound of oil)

Total 48 ounces oil

Instructions
    Melt vegetable shortening in large pot. Let cool until lukewarm or use thermometer and check to make sure it is between 100 – 120 degrees Farenheit. Dilute lye in water and leave somewhere safe and out of the way to cool; preferably in another room or outside.

After melted Crisco® and lye water have cooled down to a warm and manageable(100-120 degrees Fahrenheit), add the lye water to the melted oil in the pot. Use a large whisk, large spoon or stick blender to blend the mixture together.

Vegetable shortening usually comes to trace quickly. Stir in a circular and figure eighths pattern, stopping each five or so minutes to rest. The mixture is traced once it becomes a thick gravy like consistency and produces motion trails on the surface of the mixture when stirred.

Note:
    Fragrance should be added at trace. Stir thoroughly and quickly. Rationale for this is that some fragrances cause the mixture to seize, so you want to mix and pour this in the mold as soon as possible.

Pour soap mixture into lined mold and cover with a cardboard or wooden cover, or anything that will completely cover the soap without touching the surface to finish the process of saponification. Then, insulate with a blanket or other large thick cloth and leave for 12-18 hours. Soap should be firm and some what dry to the touch. Remember, afer saponifying, the soap still has traces of lye in it, so it is important to handle it carefully with gloves on in a well ventilated area. After donning gloves, unmold soap loaf onto a towel or butcher’s paper and cut into bars.

Place in a ventilated container, like a shallow box lined with paper to cure for 4-6 weeks before using.
    =============================

And then there is this:

Reconsidering Crisco – A Neglected Soap Making Oil?-Friday August 15, 2008
    http://candleandsoap.about.com/b/2008/08/15/reconsidering-crisco-a-neglected-soap-making-oil.htm” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

Today, I want to talk about Crisco.
    Yes…Crisco…
    It may be “better than butter for cooking,” but what about for making soap? I’ve always considered Crisco (which is a hydrogenated blend of cottonseed and soybean oil) to be a “filler” soapmaking oil…inferior to our “core” soap oils of coconut, palm and olive. And my impression is that most soap makers do as well. However, I was preparing to do an article about Sandy Maine of SunFeather Natural Soap Company and her book The Soap Book, and found that the “basic” recipe that she uses for all the varieties of soap in her book is 44% Crisco, 28% Olive and 28% Coconut. That’s her core, basic recipe. Just those three oils.
    So I tried it…
    It’s good soap…!
    It doesn’t have quite the rich, heavy, creamy lather that castor oil in the recipe gives…it’s a lighter lather…but quite plentiful. And I don’t feel any more or less moisturized than I do with batches that have higher palm or olive amounts. So what do you think? The qualities that Crisco gives to soap are actually very similar to the qualities that would be imparted by cottonseed oil. They have nearly identical scores on the SoapCalc. But how many of us every use cottonseed oil in our soap…or are at all familiar with using it???
    So that’s my point…have we been missing out on a really good and cheap soap making oil – just because it comes in a can we get at the grocery store? What do you think? Oh…and did you know that Crisco was originally invented to be a replacement for tallow in candles!!?? Click on “comments” below to add your two cents…
    Image Credit: Ladies Home Journal – 1912 (Note: There’s lots of comments after this article, at the link, above!)

Muzhik

Thanks, ReadyMom! I’ve also got some “butter-flavored” Crisco; I’ll have to see what kind of soap THAT makes!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum