anyone make homemade laundry soap?

This topic contains 129 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  ReadyMom 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 130 total)
  • Author

ReadyMom

@muzhik wrote:

Thanks, ReadyMom! I’ve also got some “butter-flavored” Crisco; I’ll have to see what kind of soap THAT makes!

If you give this a try and make soap out of Crisco, let us know how it turns out!

Check this link out. In fact, check the whole website out. http://www.pioneerliving.net/soapmaking.htm A lot of helpful information! Hope this helps and good luck!

Alaska Rose

I have not been able to find fels naptha soap or washing soda in Fairbanks.

lathermaker

@muzhik wrote:

Has anyone tried making soap out of Crisco? I just found some in the back of my cupboard that’s a year past its “best by” date, and I just got to wondering if I could use it to make soap.

If the oils you are using smell rancid, the soap that you make with it will smell rancid as well.

Anonymous

How long do you have to cure the Crisco soap before it is ready for use?

Muzhik

@CajunDaddys_girl wrote:

How long do you have to cure the Crisco soap before it is ready for use?

It needs to cure for 6 weeks, just like any other cold-process hard soap. I just found a source of coconut oil, so I’m going to try to make that three-oil base soap either this afternoon or tomorrow. I just finished curing my first batch of liquid soap (made using potassium hydroxide instead of sodium hydroxide) and found the hard way you need to use a gentle hand when adding scents. The liquid soap has a very strong “neutral” scent when it’s done curing (which technically isn’t necessary, but does make the soap “smoother”) so I tried adding a fragrance to it. I finally added the maximum amount recommended but still couldn’t overcome the “neutral” scent. This morning, though, after the product sat for 24 hours, the fragrance was so strong my entire bathroom smelled like it after I washed my hands. So, in the future, I’m going to wait between “dosings” to check the resulting scent until I get the right proportions for the recipe I’m using. It also means that this first batch of Crisco soap will be scent-and-color-free.

Anonymous

Just an old time way to make sure the soap is cured, stick the tip of your tongue on a corner of the soap, is you get a sensation of a jo;t / zap feel then it is not completely cured and should be go for another few days of curing…

Muzhik

I made the soap this weekend. I used “Sandy Maine’s Basic 3-Oil Soap Recipe“, a very simple recipe that uses Crisco. I decided against using the butter Crisco, at least on my first try.

Everything went together smoothly. Only two problems: I used the HI setting on the crock pot to melt the Crisco and coconut oils, which meant I had to wait for them to cool down quite a bit before adding the lye. In fact, the lye almost got too cool. AFter my experience with the liquid soap, I was shocked. That stuff took almost an hour to reach trace; this stuff was at trace in about 5 minutes.

The other problem had to do with the mold. I was using a shoebox with a plastic shopping bag as a liner. The shoebox turned out to be to big for the size of the soap batch, and the bag was just a little too small to fit snugly. Instead of being a block, it was more like fudge that had melted over the counter. I got the soap bars cut and they’re curing now. (Well, calling them “bars” is being generous — more like a work of Picasso.) I’ll let you know in two weeks how this batch turned out.

Next time I make this, I’ll probably forgo the box mold and just spoon the stuff into these yogurt containers I have. They’re big enough to fit nicely in your hand, and they’ll look nicer than my fudge slab bars.

paladin

I love this website! I am learning soooo much… here is a link to FELS soap and information on the product.

Enjoy

http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/category_s/2.htm

Has anyone heard anything about or actually used the Wonderwash? I’m thinking of getting one, but I’d like some feedback from real people who aren’t getting paid to promote it! 🙂

Muzhik

@survivalseedbnk wrote:

Has anyone heard anything about or actually used the Wonderwash? I’m thinking of getting one, but I’d like some feedback from real people who aren’t getting paid to promote it! 🙂

Here’s a link to some local TV station’s segment testing it:

Deal or Dud

PplAmanda

I have been making my own laundry soap for years using the recipe that calls for FelsNaptha, borax, and washing soda.

If you can’t find the Fels Naptha (I have found it at Kroger and Ace Hardware before) you can use Ivory or Zote.

I also add essential oils to mine. We like lavendar the best. I mix it in a 5 gallon bucket and use an old liquid detergent bottle to store it in my laundry room. I like it better than the detergents I used to buy.

caveskier

Ive been making liquid soap out of soapwort (can grow them inside as well for winter) add lavender, or mint for aroma.
    Also have use yucca roots to make liquid soap. Both work for hands, dishes or laundry. Tried to make it as primitive and
    self reliant as possible, so no borax or other items that might not be available.

Use natural sunlight in big Atrium windows to grow plants in the winter and use grey water on plants both inside and out.

Laythar

Here is a website with information on Soapwart for those who are interested in information and seed ordering. I don’t know anything about them and have never ordered from them, so buyer beware.

http://www.cherrygal.com/herbsoapwortheirloomseeds2009new-p-11991.html

Lynda

I hadn’t noticed this thread before and it’s coincidental that the husband just ordered washing soda for me from Arm and Hammer(GreatCleaners.com) so I can make my own laundry detergent. I also just made up a batch of dishwashing soap for the dishwasher using equal parts of borax and baking soda. I’m so tired of paying outrageous prices for both.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum