Baking your own bread

This topic contains 57 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Cheyenne rose 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author

edea1976

I’d like to recommend the book “Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day”. I’ve baked 3 loaves of bread in 3 days and my kids went CRAZY for it. I think anything we can learn to do for ourselves is worth looking into. I’ve also made mozzarella cheese at home.

mmpaints
    Participant

Oh, is that the book highlighted in this most recent issue of Mother Earth news?

Try this simple recipe out too, it works really well for whole wheat too and if you’d like a more fluffy bread, mix it with 2 cups of wheat and a cup of AP flour…

In your bowl put 3 cups of flour, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp(or a packet) of yeast, 1 tblsp of sugar. Mix the dry ingredients together then add 1 cup warm water and 2 tblsp of vege oil. Mix until it forms a nice doughball then turn out on a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Dough will be soft and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl to double in size. Punch down and form into your loaf. I put mine in glass loaf pans and glass rounds. Allow to rise to the size of loaf you want and then bake at 360 until golden. Cool on a wire rack.

Wm_Lankes

You should try to bake bread using an outside source, BBQ, box oven, etc…. I always bake my bread on the BBQ and it turns out great. I posted how to do that on preparetosurviveincalifornia.blogspot.com. It takes a couple of tries to get the temperature right, but hey; if I can do it, you can too. Good luck….nice post by the way!

Phelan

Bread is my specialty.

I make 2 loaves or more a day. I prefer the slow rise ones, as you can take 24 hours to make it.

mmpaints
    Participant

Bread is a staple here, 2 to 4 loaves a day here too. The basic white bread I posted above is what I make every day here plus the Italian, French and specialty breads I like to bake.

Grill baking works pretty good phelan, I like it too. If I ever manage to get enough spare cash to finish buying my fire brick, I’ll have the Tuscany oven to bake bread in. I need 86 more bricks. hard to do when yer unemployed…

edea1976

Has anyone tried baking in a solar oven? My father-in-law has plans to build one in the spring.

IceFire

@edea1976 wrote:

I’d like to recommend the book “Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day”. I’ve baked 3 loaves of bread in 3 days and my kids went CRAZY for it. I think anything we can learn to do for ourselves is worth looking into. I’ve also made mozzarella cheese at home.

That book is great! It really cuts down on the time involved in baking up fresh bread. I have a lot of different bread recipes, as I have baked bread for years, but the bread from that book REALLY makes it easy! My biggest problem is keeping my husband from devouring an entire loaf in one sitting!

mmpaints
    Participant

no edea, I haven’t tried one. Living in the area I do with so much available firewood has kept me from investigating those types types of cooking methods.

IceFire, LOL, that’s why I end up baking so much bread, they wolf it down before i get any and I’m the one that made it.

IceFire

Just made up a new batch of dough today. I’ll be baking tomorrow.

mmpaints
    Participant

I like allrecipes.com, it’s a great place to find all kinds of bread recipies from machine ones to hand knead ones, quick breads, pastries etc.

Phelan

oh oh, mmpaints, can I plug two of the ezines I write for? 😀

http://www.allfoodsnatural.com/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

http://www.world-food-and-wine.com/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

I have articles like ketchup without tomatoes, different breads and pastries, canning, and I’m not the only homesteader that writes for them.

mmpaints
    Participant

LOL, of course Phelan, we can’t learn if ya don’t “plug” em! Thanks for the links!

kymber

ladies…awesome discussion – i have the book and love it too! and Phelan – plug away – and everyone else too!

this summer i want to try making bread in my cardboard box solar oven…it’s gonna be so much fun!

D_Loki
    Participant

The Prepper’s Librarian strikes again, Here’s “The Bread Baker’s Bible”.

D_Loki

http://hotfile.com/dl/22817901/f91c506/Bread_-_The_Bread_Baker_Bible.pdf.html

mmpaints
    Participant

LOL Loki, how about some solar oven build plans while yer at it? i think edea wants some solar oven ideas and recommendations on how it operates…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum