"Conditioning" dehydrated food in hi-humidity..how?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Food & Water Vacuum Sealing "Conditioning" dehydrated food in hi-humidity..how?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    mkcr5921
    Participant

How do you condition freshly dehydrated food prior to sealing in mylar with oxygen absorbers in a humid environment? I laughed when my electric dehydrator instr. book said to condition for one week in a cool, dry place before sealing. If I left dehydrated food sitting out for a week (there’s no cool dry place in my house), it would rehydrate on its own. I live in Hawaii and currently it is raining and the humidity is 99% and the indoor temp is 70. The average year-round humidity is between 68 -87% and rises to 100 on even a light rainy day.

Is conditioning absolutely necessary? Couldn’t I just dry it a long time, let it cool, and seal in Mylar right away? I guess I should have thought of the humidity problem before investing in this machine.

I’m new to canning and preserving so I don’t know what to do. Should I send the dehydrator back and just pressure-can my food? I just got the dehydrator yesterday so it is still in the box.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum