Crazy Florida girl here

Welcome to APN! Forums Start Here Introduce Yourself Crazy Florida girl here

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Hiya everyone
    Alrighty, I guess I should take a moment and put a bit about me here… Hmmmmm.
    33yr old mom of a just turned 16yr old girl and soon to be 15yr old boy. Stuck in Florida until they graduate high school (3 more years!!! YIPEE!!!), then I’m off to either southern Alaska, the Dakotas or Montana. I despise the heat/humidity combo Florida has going on. Not my cup of tea. My son and I have had in depth conversations about Alaska, having a combo of solar and hydro power, as well as general “homesteading” topics. He’s a momma’s boy 110%. She’s as materialistic as they come… Typical “girly” girl that takes an hour just to do her hair… *sigh*
    Me. That’s a hard one. Don’t fit into any typical categories. Likes: gardening (if I can’t eat it, I don’t grow it), crafting, sewing, baking from scratch, canning, fixing things, restoring old cars (done 4 already and hoping to get #5 soon so I have something to play with), my new compound bow, fishing, woodworking, and playing. 🙂 Yep, I’m a just a big kid.
    Prepping. So far, working at this slowly rather than go crazy, I’ve managed to compile approximately 1.5 months worth of stored food that I rotate. I grow tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, chard, mustard greens, cabbage, garlic, onions, lots and lots and lots of assorted beans, peas, cowpeas, melons, squash, and a multitude of herbs. I do it all in raised beds and containers as living directly on the Gulf of Mexico with the water against this typical “urban” sided lot, I cannot grow squat in the ground. Too much salt content… *sigh* Oh, and the fact that it’s clay doesn’t help. And that with a heavy rain the yard’s flooded doesn’t help matters much either. Learning to hunt. Need to learn to clean my own kill as I have NO desire to have to pay someone to do it.
    Basically, I want to become completely self-sufficient. If I am physically capable of doing it, I don’t see the point in paying someone to do it. That’s one of the major life lessons I learned growing up from my Grandpa. Do it yourself. And if you are going to do it yourself, do it right! There’s no point in doing something halfheartedly and sloppy. I’m slowly building my online “jobs”, and with their slowly increasing income, I’m hoping that by the end of the year, I’m making enough ‘reliable’ money to get away from the 9-5 job, or in my case 6am-4pm Mon-Fri job that’s an hours drive each way… Yep, I’m up for work at 4am. Out the door at 5am and usually don’t walk back in until close to 6pm (traffic)…
    Well, that’s it for now. LOL! Shoot, that’s probably more than ya wanted to know. Hee hee hee!
    Have fun and enjoy yourselves!!!
    ~Mel 😀

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum