Dehydrating

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 237 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #56517
    watcher
    Participant

    Apples=
    18 pounds (store weight) apples (mixed Macs and Galas, 72 medium, 1 per serving) peeled, cored and sectioned = 30 ounces dried weight = 68 servings, 7/16 ounce per serving

    10 ounces per ½ gallon mason jar

    Green Beans=
    17 pounds frozen green beans (store weight) = 72 (4 ounce) servings = 24.5 ounces dehydrated = 66 (3/8 ounce) servings

    12 ounces per ½ gallon mason jar

    #56518
    xdewit
    Member

    @Vina8 wrote:

    Thanks, SciFi. I love that website and have bookmarked it. I also learned from reading about your experience and appreciate your sharing what worked and what didn’t. This is something I am definitely going to try.

    Ldychef2k, your experience with dehydrators was very interesting and timely. A link on the dehydrate2store site led me to Excalibur dehydrators that sound very good. They are expensive, but are having a sale if you order before Jan. 5. http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/product.php?action=list&specials=yes&shopping_group=gardners” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false Has anyone else had any experience with the Excalibur dehydrators? They have all the features that I have read are “must haves.”

    Vina, I just bought 16 kilo of strawberries for 16 euro´s that is 32 pounds for 22 usd and I am getting them dried in my Excalibur, that´s really the best there is. If you order also order their dehydrating book, best book I have read about dehydrating!
    Have fun,
    X

    #56519
    Vina8
    Member

    @xdewit wrote:

    @Vina8 wrote:

    Thanks, SciFi. I love that website and have bookmarked it. I also learned from reading about your experience and appreciate your sharing what worked and what didn’t. This is something I am definitely going to try.

    Ldychef2k, your experience with dehydrators was very interesting and timely. A link on the dehydrate2store site led me to Excalibur dehydrators that sound very good. They are expensive, but are having a sale if you order before Jan. 5. http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/product.php?action=list&specials=yes&shopping_group=gardners” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false Has anyone else had any experience with the Excalibur dehydrators? They have all the features that I have read are “must haves.”

    Vina, I just bought 16 kilo of strawberries for 16 euro´s that is 32 pounds for 22 usd and I am getting them dried in my Excalibur, that´s really the best there is. If you order also order their dehydrating book, best book I have read about dehydrating!
    Have fun,
    X

    Congratulations on your Excalibur! I bought mine soon after that post in January and have used it a lot. I recently dried a bushel of apples from my parents’ orchard.

    #56520
    Tinga
    Participant

    Doing a small batch of apples for the kiddos now. Bought a 9 tray Excalibur today ( don’t tell my husband)
    Looking forward to really getting into it. Now the storing part LOL

    #56521
    xdewit
    Member

    @Vina8 wrote:

    Congratulations on your Excalibur! I bought mine soon after that post in January and have used it a lot. I recently dried a bushel of apples from my parents’ orchard.

    I am so sorry I didn’t look at the dates! Well, wonderful to hear that you are having fun with the dehydrater! How nice that your parents have a orchard!
    Today I got 4 big shopping bags of windfall apples (for free). Tomorrow I will be making apple juice for a change, kids love it..
    X

    #56522
    xdewit
    Member

    @Tinga wrote:

    Doing a small batch of apples for the kiddos now. Bought a 9 tray Excalibur today ( don’t tell my husband)
    Looking forward to really getting into it. Now the storing part LOL

    we won’t tell!
    X

    #56523
    Charley
    Member

    Ok folks, try making applesauce from your dehydrated apples. It’s SO good!

    “This recipe uses dehydrated apples that are reconstituted. It is really easy and yummy. I think it tastes better after it sits in the refrigerator for a few hours. This recipe is adapted from Everydayfoodstorage.com. You could add 3 T red hot candies in place of the cinnamon sugar if you wanted.”
    Ingredients

    2 cups dehydrated apples
    2 cups boiling water
    3/4 cup craisins (optional)
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
    1 teaspoon sugar (optional)

    Directions

    1. Place the dehydrated apple slices and craisins in a blender. Top the fruit with the boiling water. Add in the cinnamon and sugar. Allow to soak for about 5 minutes. Process in your blender to desired consistency.
    2. Refrigerate.

    #56524
    paladin
    Member

    that’s an excellent idea! thx :thumbup:

    #56525
    tigger2
    Member

    A while back, I made some beef jerky for a lady that I worked with. I let her have it for cost. The total cost was about $30.00. The jerky filled a gallon zip lock baggie full. There is no telling how much that would have cost at the store. Jerky is high down here.

    #56526
    okie B
    Member

    Hey Tig — Did you do whole muscle or ground beef? We’ve been doing the kind with ground beef a whole lot more often lately both because of the cost and because we like the texture/chewability better. Our favorite here lately has been Hot Teriyaki.

    #56527
    Tinga
    Participant

    About how long and what heat do you guys run your meat at? I’ma thinking I might buy some turkey and give that a go.
    I’d like to at least TRY some different meats. Any other suggestions??
    I got everything in ziplock bags inside coffee cans till I can store ’em properly.

    #56528
    okie B
    Member

    I’ve only ever made beef jerky, and I can’t find my dehydrator book, but it seems like it didn’t recommend using any meats other than beef, but if you used other meats, it was better to pre-cook it. I’ll keep looking for my book unless someone else knows right off the top of their head. And my book recommends beef jerky dried at 160-165 degrees. The highest temp mark on my dehydrator is 155, so I crank it as high as it goes. I use lean or extra lean beef, check it every hour or so and mop up any grease on it, and rotate the racks. After about three hours, I flip all the pieces of jerky over, mop up the grease (there is always grease after a flip), and rotate the racks for another two or three hours. I have had one batch done in as little as four hours, but it usually takes between five and six. The whole muscle took longer for me, but I think a lot of that was because I cut it too thick.

    #56529
    Tinga
    Participant

    I saw a video of someone cooking the turkey, Like ground turkey, draining it and THEN dehydrating it. The book that came with mine said you can do certain types of FISH too. Like cod and lower fat fish.

    #56530
    watcher
    Participant

    Jerky – Traditional

    3 pounds 85% lean ground chuck
    2 tablespoons salt
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon white pepper
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon liquid smoke
    1/2 teaspoon Instacure #2, (optional)

    Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, load into a jerky making gun, and squeeze out laying lightly onto dehydrator trays. Dehydrate for approximately 18 hours at 140°. After the jerky is dry but still warm wipe off any grease.

    For spicier jerky add 3/4 T Cheyenne pepper for mild heat, 1 1/2 T for moderate.heat, 2 1/4 T for hot, or 3 T for ultra hot.

    Insta Cure #2 is a nitrate based preservative available from The Sausage Maker Inc. 1-888-490-8525

    #56531
    watcher
    Participant

    Jerky – Teriyaki

    3 pounds 85% lean ground chuck
    3/4 cup soy sauce
    6 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
    1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
    1/2 tablespoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon Instacure #2, (optional)

    Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, load into a jerky making gun, and squeeze out laying lightly onto dehydrator trays. Dehydrate for approximately 18 hours at 140°. After the jerky is dry but still warm wipe off any grease.

    Insta Cure #2 is a nitrate based preservative available from The Sausage Maker Inc. 1-888-490-8525

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 237 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum