FEBRUARY – What Did You Do To Prep This Month

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Cin
    Participant

I had two cases of diced tomatoes that had a “use by” date on the bottom that was fast approaching. Realizing that I could not use enough to beat the date, I decided to make something with them that I buy practically every week.

So, 32 pint jars of homemade tomato sauce were canned today.

In addition, I made 5 quarts of vegetarian marinara sauce and canned it, too (an onion, half a bell pepper, clove of garlic, 6 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes, 1 small can tomato paste, 2 tablespoons olive oil, a glug of red wine, Tablespoon each of oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds, salt , pepper, and don’t tell ANYONE, but I put 2 cups of pureed zuchini squash from last year’s garden in it, too).

20 ft. paracord
    2 LED keychain lights that were on sale
    50 pounds of rice (hubster freaked when he went downstairs and discovered 2 empty rice buckets of the 10 we have)
    50 pounds of oatmeal
    8 cans of Campbell’s chicken noodle soup
    Powdered milk
    1 can of cashews on sale
    2 small canned hams
    4 cans black olives
    25 pounds of diatemaceous earth
    20 oxygen absorbers
    10 used square buckets with flip-top lids (hubster used 7 to pack our lamp oil in – 4 fit nicely in each bucket)

My next project was to organize the bins of OTC meds and personal items we have. I now have a bucket full of toothpaste, toothbrushes, mouthwash, Ambesol, clove oil and 2 bottles of hydrogen peroxide.

I bought the $4.00 lidded bins at Walmart – they are “book box” size, easy to carry.

One bin contains bars of soap, a gallon bottle of hand sanitizer and small purse-size hand sanitizers on a clip ( may have to make this all soap, though, hubby found more bars of soap downstairs after I packed this box)

The next bin is filled with OTC cold and flu remedies – Robitussin, Nyquil, Cloraseptic, heat packs, allergy tablets, aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxin sodium, and nasal spray.

The last bin is filled with oointments and salves – drawing slave, comfrey salve, petroluem jelly, triple antibiotic, A & D ointment, Burn gel, anti-itch gel, and so on. I will add as I see fit.

I also cleaned out and re-stocked my house first aid kit. Seems with all the people here and winter, we’ve been digging into it a lot lately.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum