Hello?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    edea1976

Anyone in Illinois? I’m in Southern Illinois near Carbondale.

mmpaints
    Participant

edea, you’re close to me then. I wrote for the Illinois blog for a while but I gave it to Gen so I could devote more time to my own blog. I’m over by Benton and have a nice little farm. I keep lots of critters and grow my own food.

edea1976

I would love to have my own animals but in town we’re not allowed any livestock, not even meat rabbits.

mmpaints
    Participant

I can relate to that. I lived in a CFD house in Eldorado for a while, right on the city limit line. My neighbor annexed herself into town for cheap fire prevention costs and harassed me every single day for my few critters.

Hello! I’m finally here! Unfortunately, I’m not near either of you. I’m north of Chicago. Wish I was near others who are on this network. Would be nice to see other preppers in ‘real life’! Glad to know others Illinoisans are out there, though.

chimneyman

I’m in Chicago’s NW Suburbs. Maybe we are close?

Hi Chimneyman! (Althought it looks like you’re a woman?) Actually we’re in the NE suburb, but we’re obviously closer than some of the others here. Been prepping long?

chimneyman

Yep, I’m a woman. My husband does wood burning stoves and fireplaces. We have been prepping for over 5 years now. How about you?

cdj_61

Hello, all. I live in South Central Illinois. I’m happy to see there’s at least a few other Illinoisans aware of what’s potentially coming at us. I live in a fairly liberal county, and most of the people I know are wholeheartedly convinced that our currency and government are 100% stable. Mention the nearby New Madrid fault, and you get blank looks; a few say, “Wasn’t there an earthquake there hundreds of years ago or something?” At least they admit we’re well within “Tornado Alley” here.

Chimneyman, I’m very interested in asking you all about woodstoves. My family and I are considering putting in either a woodburning stove, or external woodburning furnace, this year. However, I have very little knowledge of how to do this. But I’m a quick study.

edea1967, thanks for the warm welcome in the introductions thread. Your husband and I certainly have our work cut out for us, eh?

Nice meeting you all. I look forward to hollering back and forth with you.

-Colin

mmpaints
    Participant

LOL Colin, don’t be thinking it’s all a mans world, LOL. I do it all here from the hunting to the butchering to the hay baling to the construction etc. Hope you aren’t intimidated by a “strong” woman, LMAO.

You’re very correct when you say this is “liberals” country because it is. I would have bet the dericho would have woke some folks up even after those 2 major ice storms but it sure didn’t. Here we are, once again, in the crappy weather and the people out scrambling for those last minute frozen pizzas was disheartening. I haven’t been to a grocery store in months. With Franklin County being at 15% UE and not counting the rest of the folks sitting on their asses collecting welfare, how could any intellegent person not be working on some sort of prepping?

cdj_61

@mmpaints wrote:

LOL Colin, don’t be thinking it’s all a mans world, LOL. I do it all here from the hunting to the butchering to the hay baling to the construction etc. Hope you aren’t intimidated by a “strong” woman, LMAO.

Not at all, madam. I find strong women admirable. edea1967 told me in the “new member intro” forum that her husband is an Illinois police officer, as am I, which is why I said her husband and I have our work cut out for us in the near future. So do a lot of women – strong and otherwise, I’m afraid. But, sorry if any offense was taken.

As for Illinois being a roiling bucket of liberalism … well, I’m a little disappointed to hear that Franklin County is in the same sad shape as Marion, where I live. My wife, family and I basically live in and around Shawnee National Forest during the warmer months, and I always got a sense that the further south one went in Illinois, the more conservative it got. But, then, I don’t live there, so I don’t really know. Wishful thinking, I reckon. I read last summer where Tea Party members in Harrisburg were given three minutes to speak at a rally at City Hall, per a hastily-passed ordinance. The mayor and many on the council, I understand, are somewhere to the left of Lenin. The Tea Party guys were not daunted one bit, though; they seemed to become even more determined to be heard. Reading some of their remarks at this outrage – only three minutes to address the crowd! – I was quite struck by their grit. It was a far cry from what you see in my neck of the woods.

mmpaints
    Participant

Yah, Hburg is just as corrupt as they come being the couty seat and all. They do what they please there, make up the rules as they go.

Honestly, i think if shtf for real, the last person you’d want to be is the one holding the badge, trying to help. This whole area is on the verge of “free for all” and I say that because of the rise in property crime going unchecked around here along with some other unmentionables. Deserate people do stupid things.

cdj_61

@mmpaints wrote:

Yah, Hburg is just as corrupt as they come being the couty seat and all. They do what they please there, make up the rules as they go.

Honestly, i think if shtf for real, the last person you’d want to be is the one holding the badge, trying to help. This whole area is on the verge of “free for all” and I say that because of the rise in property crime going unchecked around here along with some other unmentionables. Deserate people do stupid things.

Property crimes are up all over, but the rate of increase seems to be quite a bit sharper in Illinois. Part of this is due to Illinois’ liberal and generous welfare policies, which bring undesirables in from all over. People in various towns in my area are still stuck in this crazy mindset of, “Oh, this is a nice, quiet peaceful little town. Not much ever happens here”. So they leave their doors unlocked, their valuables unsecured, and the keys in their cars overnight. The next day, when they awake to find their stuff stolen, they always express shock. How could this happen? You want to tell them, “It happened because you’re living under the illusion that this is a nice, quiet, peaceful little town when such is not the case”. But you can’t say that, not in so many words.

My wife and I are increasingly uncomfortable with living here ourselves. We’d love to move out of state and into a locale with a higher quality of life, but I’m nearing retirement, and I can’t just walk in and quit … not just yet, anyway. What concerns us about the current national situation is that, if the doo-doo ever does hit the fan, our area will probably look like a Mad Max movie. We have a burgeoning population of people on public aid who are quite used to, and happy with, having everything handed to them for generations. Many are drug addicts, or career alcoholics, or both. Let Illinois go bankrupt (a real possibility), take away their link cards, and … well, you can wargame any number of unpleasant scenarios.

A number of the monied people here have either fled this area or are in the process of fleeing, just as soon as they can sell their McMansions. I know one guy, a local businessman with a beautiful house, who recently closed up shop, put his house on the market for a fraction of its worth, and fled to West Virginia. “It’s getting unlivable here,” he said. “Everyone I hire turns out to have drug problems.” Despite a top-of-the-line security system, he didn’t feel safe. And he’s only one of many.

As for being “behind the badge” when TSHTF: people should realize that, if or when this ever happens, they’re not going to have police protection … unless Obama institutes the “Civilian Defense Force” he promised during the campaign (which would be a nightmare). Even then, let’s say the dollar is dumped as the world’s reserve currency (a real possibility), or our “leaders” mishandling of things renders our currency worthless (also a real possibility). What are you going to pay cops or CDF personnel with, cans of beans? Probably, the cops are going to be home trying to keep their own families safe. Citizens will be on their own. Not a pretty picture in most cases, unfortunately, but things could easily play out that way, sooner or later.

Times are tough, you can’t refute it. Buy a gun, and learn to shoot it.

mmpaints
    Participant

LOL cdj, you and I are of the same thought process. You and I both know that peoples stupidity brings all their problems upon them. Whew, so glad someone else besides me sees the rampant laziness, nothing sticks my craw worse than the “link” card in front of me at the gas station buying a bunch of crap. My tax dollars at work, yay rah. The druggies are everywhere, the coalmines are crawling with them just like everywhere else(retired coalminer here) fear and common sense keeps the scumbags from messing around in my area. It’s such a shame too since this is beyond a doubt, a beautiful area. I’m not leaving my farm(unless we end up losing it). LOL don’t count on anything the black prince thinks he can deliver, it just won’t happen. The badge needs to take care of it’s own before becoming a target protecting stupidity…….

WJHUSMC

Hello Folks!

I just joined the forum. Former marine and active Prepper with my family.

-Jim

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum