Hello from Wyoming

Welcome to APN! Forums Start Here Introduce Yourself Hello from Wyoming

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #548
    Gabbyhase
    Member

    Howdy Folks,
    I earned about this site from a friend who seen it in News Week. My wife and I have been preparing for the worst and hope it never comes, but the way things are going and the direction we see America heading in it scares the heck out of us.
    We’ve been stocking up on food and other items and we’ll continue to do so until we feel we’re pretty safe in the event of an emergency.
    The one thing I have learned so far is that “most” people either don’t want to talk about being prepared or think I’m nuts when I mention it. I don’t care if they think I’m nuts, I can live with that. But if they’re wrong, can they live with it???
    I have not discussed this with anyone locally because in the event of an emergency I don’t want them trying to break down my door trying to take my wife and I’s supplys. That’s a sad thing to have to say, but it’s the way I feel. I can’t afford to buy enough supplys to save the town or neighborhood, that’s just the way it is.
    I’m not some nut who dresses like Rambo and thinks I’m going to fight off an army. I’m talking survival, not war. That said, I do have a good supply of guns and ammo so I can protect my wife and I and also go out and shoot some food for the table if need be. Although I have several different calibers I believe the best “Survival” gun is the humble 22 Long Rifle. I have taken lots of game with my 22’s and I continue to hunt with a 22 to this day. With a 22 you can easely carry 1,000 + rounds of ammo with you should the need arise, you can’t do that with any other caliber. ( unless your using an air rifle ) I don’t reccomend a 22 for self defence, but in a pinch it can be used for just that. My wife and I carry a revolver everywhere we go, she a 38 and I a 357/38 and I keep a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with buckshot in the house for home protection.
    It seems that when some people hear the word survival they think they need to gear up for war, but I see it different. War is war and survival is survival, they are 2 seperate things. Although you may have to defend your life in a survival situation, they main goal is to “survive” so avoiding a confrontation is your best bet. Food, Water and Shelter should be your main goals followed by other things you may need to keep you comfortale like toilet paper, soap, tooth paste ect.
    I’m looking forward to hearing other peoples views on survival and hopefully picking up some great tips and how to’s, that is why i joined this site.

    Gabby

    #53617
    kymber
    Member

    Gabby – welcome friend! i think that you will find yourself among many like-minded people here! and we look forward to your contribution!

    #53618
    Hansel1
    Member

    Hi Gabby,

    Welcome. I used to live out in Wyoming just outside Riverton and I know how hard…but also in some ways how easy it is to get prepared and ready to survive any emergency it is out there. Hard, because the winters are hard and the growing season barely exist and water is scarse unless you are on the west side of the mountains where it rains more often. Easy though because the scum we in the east have to live with, scum that infests our inner cities are largely missing out there and you can talk to any mormon out there about preparedness and survivial. I envy you living out there. We went east because of my wifes health problems and the easier access to doctors. Driving 5-6 hours to a decent hospital in case of an emergency was just too much for her medical condition. Of course, in a real emergency or GOD forbid war on our soil this remoteness will be a big plus for you.

    Stay warm out there and again welcome

    John

    #53619
    Gabbyhase
    Member

    @kymber wrote:

    Gabby – welcome friend! i think that you will find yourself among many like-minded people here! and we look forward to your contribution!

    Thank you,
    Nice to meet you. 🙂

    #53620
    Gabbyhase
    Member

    @SciFiChick wrote:

    Glad you could join us Gabby! 🙂

    Thanks,
    Nice to meet you to. 🙂

    #53621
    Gabbyhase
    Member

    @Hansel1 wrote:

    Hi Gabby,

    Welcome. I used to live out in Wyoming just outside Riverton and I know how hard…but also in some ways how easy it is to get prepared and ready to survive any emergency it is out there. Hard, because the winters are hard and the growing season barely exist and water is scarse unless you are on the west side of the mountains where it rains more often. Easy though because the scum we in the east have to live with, scum that infests our inner cities are largely missing out there and you can talk to any mormon out there about preparedness and survivial. I envy you living out there. We went east because of my wifes health problems and the easier access to doctors. Driving 5-6 hours to a decent hospital in case of an emergency was just too much for her medical condition. Of course, in a real emergency or GOD forbid war on our soil this remoteness will be a big plus for you.

    Stay warm out there and again welcome

    John

    Thanks John,
    To Funny, I moved here from the east. I was born and raised in Rhode Island but moved to Wyoming over 10 years ago, I love it here. We live at the base of the Bighorn Mountains ( Northern Side ) and get plenty of moisture here.
    I know exactly what you mean by scum, it’s one of the reasons we moved here. We had armed robberies across the street from us back east, purse snatchings, gangs ect. Although we do have some crime out here ( You can’t excape that no matter where you go ) it’s not as bad as back east. I lived in Rhode Island from 1964 to 1975 and then moved to Massachusetts until 1998 when we moved to Wyoming. I hated Massachusetts even wrose than Rhode Island. ( To many Liberals for me, hope that don’t offend anyone ) I can’t think of anywhere else in the U.S. that I would rather live than right here in good ole Wyoming. 🙂
    Thanks again for the warm welcomes.

    #53622
    k-mcfar4
    Member

    Hello from a fellow Wyomingite. I’m in the Casper area and brand new to the forum. It is reassuring to know other locals are concerned about survival. Perhaps some day we can communicate as a group and make some group prearations.
    Ken

    #53623
    Gabbyhase
    Member

    @k-mcfar4 wrote:

    Hello from a fellow Wyomingite. I’m in the Casper area and brand new to the forum. It is reassuring to know other locals are concerned about survival. Perhaps some day we can communicate as a group and make some group prearations.
    Ken

    Howdy,
    Nice to meet you to. I’m about 2 hours away from you, up by the Sheridan area. 😎

    #53624
    mmpaints
    Participant

    welcome

    #53625
    IceFire
    Moderator

    Hi, Gabbyhase! I’ve “seen” you on a few of the threads, but haven’t officially welcomed you yet…so Welcome!

    #53626
    Gabbyhase
    Member

    @mmpaints wrote:

    welcome

    Thanks MM ,
    Nice to meet ya.

    #53627
    Gabbyhase
    Member

    @IceFire wrote:

    Hi, Gabbyhase! I’ve “seen” you on a few of the threads, but haven’t officially welcomed you yet…so Welcome!

    Thank you IceFire ,
    Nice to meet you.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum