Kymberz famous Kimchi

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    kymber

This one’s for Bert cuz he’s such a great guy!!!

Ingredients:

1 large Chinese or napa cabbage
    4 cups of cold water
    3 tablespoons of sea salt
    1 heaping tablespoon of minced garlic
    1 heaping tablespoon of minced ginger
    ½ cup of Korean chili powder
    ¼ cup of fish sauce
    1 teaspoon of sugar
    1 bunch of green onions chopped
    Rubber gloves

Directions:

1. Rinse and separate the cabbage leaves. Lay them out on a tray and spread 2 tablespoons of sea salt evenly on all of the cabbage (use your bare hands). Make sure that all of the cabbage leaves are rubbed with the salt.

2. Place the salted cabbage leaves in a large glass bowl (don’t use metal) and pour the 4 cups of cold water over them. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a lid and place in the refrigerator overnight (about 12 hours).

3. The next day, take the cabbage leaves out and thoroughly rinse them. Shake off excess moisture.

4. Place the cabbage leaves in a large glass bowl and PUT ON RUBBER GLOVES to mix in all of the rest of the ingredients (the chili powder burns). Make sure that all of the leaves of cabbage are covered by the mix. Mix thoroughly and then mix again!

5. Transfer the entire mixture, one piece of cabbage at a time, into a large glass bottle (mason jars do the trick). Be sure to press firmly on each cabbage leaf when you put it in the jar – this releases the kimchi brine. Transfer all the liquid from the mixing bowl as well. Fill the bottle leaving about 1 inch of headspace.

6. Cap the bottle and leave in a cool place for 2-3 days (I leave it at least 3 days). At this point, I take the kimchi out of the bottle and chop up all of the cabbage leaves (you can do this all at once or as you use it). Then I return the chopped up leaves back into the jar. Refrigerate it and it will last 3-4 weeks (it never lasts that long around here!).

Enjoy!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum