MAY 2018 – What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Welcome to APN! Forums Survival, Preparedness, and Sustainability Disaster Preparedness General Preparedness Discussion MAY 2018 – What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Cin
    Participant

Yesterday was grocery shopping and yard sales.

Grocery shopping:

Restocked what we used
    3 five-lb. bags of beans to replenish LTS stores

Yard sales:
    1 rain gear poncho jacket for Husband – $1
    1 piece of flannel fabric – 25 cents

More aprons, table runners, and place mats made for the consignment shop. Also got 2 separate commissions for aprons.

Cin
    Participant

Today I took a bunch of my aprons and little sewing crafts into a really nice consignment gift shop. The proprietor was very pleased with my work (she kept saying, ‘this is quality work.’).

The shop is in a pass-through-on-the-way-to-the-lake tourist town, and she gets plenty of business, starting Memorial Day (next week). No guarantees of sales, but it’s worth a shot. If I don’t sell stuff, I have already been asked for items as birthday/Christmas gifts, so it’s a win-win. I love that my whole family appreciates handmade items.

Hoping to make a little extra money on the side to possibly fund buying a school bus and renovating it into an RV/camping vehicle. I could just buy an RV, but I like the idea of gutting the inside and doing the work ourselves. Many years ago, we gutted an Airstream and lived in it for a year while building our house. We sold the Airstream after a couple years (and I’m now sorry we did that!).

IceFire

Got another seed starter set up and seeded in artichokes since the birds ate the ones I had planted in the bed. Too windy (AGAIN!) for me to do any of the other outdoor work.

IceFire

Went and got more duck feed, cow hay, oats, wheat, and milo; then mixed up another batch of cow/goat feed. Also dumped the skanky duck pool water, hosed it out and refilled. Of course, once the ducks jumped in, they mucked it up again…

I’ve been picking snow peas and filling snack sized Ziploc bags and freezing them for later use.

LetsPrep11
    Participant

Cin, handcrafted items are the best!! Hope you sell everything. Let us know how you did.
    LP

Cin
    Participant

Husband came through his surgery well. He had the LINX “bracelet” put in to curb the acid reflux he’s had for 40 years. His docs want him off the Prilosec he’s been taking all those years. Should be home tomorrow.

I spent the day sewing up more things for the consignment shop, she seems to think more will sell.

I started to weed the garden but it got hot and humid so I stopped. I’ll work on it another day.

IceFire

Planted the sunflower seedlings this morning, and this evening, noticed that something had dug one of them up already1 (Ggggrrrr….)

Took the hoe and attacked the weeds between the rows of trees in the orchard. It was a chore, but got it done, EXCEPT for where the mesquite is growing again in multiple spots. Will have to take the tractor over and use the backhoe to try to dig it out.

Finally, 3 days without rain, planted the tomatoes, peppers and cabbage. Mowed the grass, cut the first cutting of hay, raked it twice and will rake it again in the morning and bale it in the afternoon.

I’ve been planting my potatoes the last two years in 5 gallon buckets (food grade) and they seem to do better and are easier to take care of and you don’t have to dig them out, just turn the bucket over in the garden and pick up the potatoes. The only set back on doing this is they don’t get as big as in the garden.

IceFire

Planted more sunflower seeds in one of my “seed starters”. Husband took the tractor and removed the mesquite that was trying to crop up in the orchard. After that, seeded the first section with crimson clover and put the sprinkler on it to get it watered in.

Found a box of pint and a half canning jars on sale at the farm/ranch store, so grabbed them.

Cin
    Participant

Grocery shopping and yard sales yesterday. However, it was all curtailed by picking Husband up from the hospital. He’s a little sore, but fine.

Grocery shopping:

Restocked what we used.

Didn’t hit any of the yard sales, but my parents did – there was one selling quilt fabric, don’t know if they found anything.

IceFire

Did some mending this morning, then went to the fabric/craft store (had a $25 gift card that had been given to me) and got some separating zippers and fabric dye; then out to Tombstone for lunch, check out the event and catch up with some friends who have shops out there. One of them had recently gotten a larger store, and she had seeds. So, got some Cherokee Long Ear Popcorn and huckleberry seeds. When our friend found out that I have a greenhouse, she asked to buy any extra huckleberry plants from me, to sell in her store. So, looks like I’ll be growing some plants for her…it might turn into a regular gig.

NJMike
    Participant

Took advantage of a break in the rainy weather yesterday to visit the local flea market, which worked out well. I picked up some first aid/medical supplies for very little, thought I was doing well and then did even better. For $15 I scored a cabbage mandolin, and had the gentleman throw in a red cross bag I’d spied, which I didn’t open but that he said was full of “Survival Stuff”. I just said “Oh. Ok.” It was full – bagged water, Datrex bars, working flashlight, whistle, AM/FM/Weather radio, collapsible water container, plastic sheeting, work gloves, N95 mask, glowsticks, poncho, and emergency blanket. Some of that needs a re-fresh, and a few more items like in my other bags, but it was…free.

Otherwise, have 3/4 of the container garden planted. It was like a monsoon earlier today or I would have finished that work.

Earlier in the month I’d picked up two scanners and a CB for $30 total. The one scanner was new in box, but the 2nd needed a new antenna. For another $10 I got that up in working order this weekend.

IceFire

Nice scores, NJMike!

Cin
    Participant

Sounds as if we’re all getting busy ramping up preparedness!

At that yard sale with quilt fabric…it was actually quilt tops and blocks, they sold them for $2 a piece. Mom bought me 3.

IceFire and other seamstresses will appreciate this…they are completely hand-stitched with a fine stitch and have bits and pieces of antique 1930s-1950s feed sack fabric in them.

My heart broke that whoever made them didn’t seem appreciated by family…or maybe she was, and they just had too many and didn’t know what to do with them all.

One is a twin size round pattern, almost like a Dresden plate. There are several blocks, about 20, that are Churn Dash and Bear Paws, and what looks like a large floor pillow cover that is a Bethlehem Star.

For only the second time in my sewing years, I may have someone quilt these on a professional quilting machine. I did wash them, and they held up well…but I really want to do the artist justice, and I don’t do anything to my quilts except stitch-in-the-ditch or cross-hatch. These deserve more.

I also spent the weekend working on the vehicles clutter – took everything out when we cleaned them, and am sorting through what to put back in. We have a small emergency bag and a small first aid kit in each car, I took them out, evaluated, threw out some stuff and then made new packs for each vehicle.

I also spent this afternoon decluttering the office/sewing room materials. I had paper, forms, patterns, and other stuff scattered all over and I separated it out. The office supplies now have a home, and I can use my sewing storage and spaces for just sewing items, now. And with all that, I still managed to get a small bag of trash out of there. There’s a lot more to do, but it’s a start.

IceFire

Nice score on the quilt tops, Cin! The family probably didn’t have a clue as to what to do with them, OR their value, so at least with you, they WILL be appreciated!

Since it was a holiday, I had Chore Monkey available to help me with some work. First, I had him help me work on the 3-bin composter. We got the wire attached to the posts along the outer sides and the back (a bit of a pain, as the back side is only about an inch or two away from the garden fence) and then got the top and bottom wood pieces attached on the outer sides. Had to stop work at that point, since I need to get some one-inch screws and wood for the top and bottom along the back.

After that, we attached the “rabbit guard” wire along the only place I didn’t have it…along the fence where daughter’s “dog yard” adjoins my garden.

Finally, left him cleaning up the corral while I FINALLY got the grouting done between the tiles in the “she shed” where the woodburner will go.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum