Merry Christmas from the redneck

Welcome to APN! Forums General Discussion General Discussion Off Topic Merry Christmas from the redneck

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    goterdid

First of all I apologize to the moderator if this is posted in the wrong place. Please feel free to move this post.

As we are drawing closer to Christmas I know everyone will be busy and may not have time to log on. So I would like to wish each and every one of You a Merry Christmas. And if You have a minute or two, add to this post and tell us what Christmas means to You and how it came to mean what it does to You.

Christmas to me is Jesus’ birthday, and it seems that fact is remembered less every year now. That fact was instilled in me when I was a young child by my grandmothers and my parents. Sure we had gifts and Christmas trees and the like, but we remembered what the day really meant too.

As a child and until I was a grown man, Christmas to me was an exciting time. We would start on Christmas Eve evening. We lived closest to my dad’s mother so we went there on Christmas Eve night. It was a wonderful time with all the aunts, uncles, and cousins there fore a wonderful meal that my grandmother and my aunts had prepared. There was always a real Christmas tree over in the corner that Dad, my uncle,and myself had gone out and chopped a couple weeks earlier. Oh, and by living close to Grandma I usually got to help her decorate it too. lol We would sit for what seemed like hours and string popcorn with needle and thread, and She would tell me about her childhood Christmas memories. And yes we had presents too. Grandma didn’t have a lot to spend, but she always managed to give all the grown women a new apron that she had handmade, all the men would get a small aftershave or the like, and all us kids each would get an apple, an orange, one pair of new socks, and what I call a nickel pack of firecrackers. And boy did we ever have fun with those after the gift opening was through.

As the night got later, we made our way home to get in the bed so Santa could come while we were sleeping. And though money always seemed to be tight and times hard, Santa always made sure I got a few new clothes, shoes, a little candy, and the exact one toy I had looked at for hours and hours, and dreamed of how I would play with it, just like it would just jump out of that Sears Christmas Wish Book. How the heck did He always know which one I wanted the most? You know the more I think about it the more I wonder was that wishbook some magical book he sent to our house from the north pole?

And all this was just Christmas Eve. The next day was the trip to my other grandmothers. I won’t bore you with all the details of that, but God it was great too. I want to move on to the point of this post.

Both of my grandfathers died young, and my grandmothers were left to raise and provide for their kids. My two Grandmothers in my eyes were probably the best preppers in the world. They both gardened to have enough food and had to store it for winter and the hard times ahead. But the real prepping was them raising there kids and grandkids to work hard and be honest, respectable, and caring of others. I look at the shape this country is in today and think to myself, if there is ONE thing we should all be prepping, we should be prepping all the generations after us about the real meaning of life, and love and respect for fellow beings. I have hopefully instilled this ideal in my children and I’m working on my first grandson now. I hope they will pay it forward for generations to come.

Once again, Merry Christmas to everyone, I hope that You all have a truly blessed holiday season.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum