Mylar Bags

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    elvia

Did you know you can get mylar bags for free, well, kinda like a byproduct.
    I buy my coffee in 2.2 lb bags. It comes in very heavy mylar bags. You can re use them to store seed or other foods in them.
    Lots of stuff come in mylar, but ofter in much thinner bags. Like potato chips and such.
    Where do you get your mylar? I get mine from LDS by mail order. O2 absorbers also.
    See Ya

Kailyst

If you use a Food Saver Vaccuum sealer, do you need to use mylar also???

Just wondering???

Kailyst

kindlerclan

@Kailyst wrote:

If you use a Food Saver Vaccuum sealer, do you need to use mylar also???

Just wondering???

Kailyst

Mylar works best as an oxygen/vapor and water barrier. They hold a vacuum much longer than other films. Plain plastic bags, low density polyethylene (LDPE), are the worst. Your milky white crinkly trash can liner is high density polyethylene and that is better than LDPE. Poly Acklar is the best but VERY expensive. Polypropylene (that nuts and dried fruit come in) is very good as well, depending on the seals. The anti-static bags that electronics (mostly disk drives) come in are very good!. Some of these mentioned above are not FDA approved, but in a pinch will work just fine. The film itself is harmless. DO NOT reverse old sandwich bags with the print inside. Even though the inks no longer have lead in them, they still have pigments (waxes and silicone) and alcohol for the most part.

Kevin

kymber

Kevin – holy moly. i had no idea. thanks so much! do you have any more info that you can share with us???

IceFire

@SciFiChick wrote:

Another source of bags for your vacuum sealer are your empty cereal bags. They work great with my FoodSaver.

Now THAT is a great thing to learn! At the rate my husband goes through cereal, I could get 2-3 bags per week!

Vina8

@elvia wrote:

Where do you get your mylar? I get mine from LDS by mail order. O2 absorbers also.
    See Ya

You said you get your mylar and O2 absorbers from LDS. Is that a resource that a nonmember can use or is it for church members only?

IceFire

Anyone can buy from the LDS websites…you do NOT have to be a church member to purchase from them. The only places that are restricted to church members only is some of the canneries…it all depends on the individual “stake” (that is their regional church division). Some allow non-church members to use the canneries, others do not. THe websites, though are available to anyone.

Jinnig1

Walton Feed is the best place I’ve found to buy mylar bags and O2 absorbers. their specs say a small O2 absorber is fine for a 5 gallon bucket but I get the bigger ones anyway. I’m not going to all this expense and trouble to have anything go wrong when I need to use the stuff.

Walton Feed has some good info on their site regarding grains/veggies, etc. They also have small “sample” cans of dehydrated veggies which is good to practice rehydration with…

waltonfeed.com

birdgirl1

Questions:
    Can these bags from other food sources (chips, cereals, coffee, etc) be resealed with a food saver?
    If I purchase dry products such as beans, rice, instant potatoes in smaller amounts, do I need to put them in a vacume bag and then in my food storage bucket?
    If the products are vacume sealed do I need to add an oxygen absorber?
    Can I leave them in their purchased bag, put all of them into a storage bucket and add an oxygen absorber?
    If I open my bucket to get out a few bags and then reclose it with a Gamma seal will the oxygen absorber continue to work, or do I need to put in a new one?
    What about partially filled buckets-do oxygen absorbers work for them, or is there too much empty space?
    Birdgirl+1

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum