Recessionomics 101: How to Make Extra Money

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Marica

Jennifer Winslow wanted to earn some extra cash without giving up the flexibility of working part time.

An avid cook, she and a friend initially planned to cater meals for busy families. When that turned out to be too time consuming, she tried baking. More than five years later, she has a thriving bakery business in Winslow, Maine (her husband’s family has been in town a long time).

Now on her own, she supplies four restaurants with cakes and other sweets and makes desserts for individuals and weddings.

A growing number of Americans would like to follow Mrs. Winslow’s example. Job loss, tighter credit and a renewed appreciation for savings is persuading more people to cut expenses.

Full article here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126428109487634281.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

The article isn’t particularly insightful, but the concept is. I did something like this in Cincinnati. We lived in the middle of the city, in a community called Northside. A lot of Northsiders were hip & trendy, greenies with young families. I started a business called the Northside Guerilla Farmer. I literally went to people’s homes and taught them how to put in and grow veggie gardens. They paid me!

If you live in a suburban or urban area, and can grow things, this is a low investment, easy way to pick up some extra money. I had a booth at the local farmers’ market, and set up displays & whatnot. My clients mostly just needed someone to hold their hand– to fill in for Mom since Mom never had a veggie garden.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum