Some More Soap Recipes

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Muzhik

This comes from “Young’s Demonstrative Translation of Scientific Secrets” by Daniel Young. I can’t decide if the book is a reprint of something from the late 1800’s or if it’s something new written to SOUND like it’s from that time period. I’ll let you decide.

In any case, here are three recipes for soap copied from the web page. I get the feeling that these recipes are designed to provide a whole year’s worth of product:

428. CHEMICAL SOAP

This is for washing cloths with one-half the labour of that with common bar soap. Take 16 lbs. English bar white soap, 3-1/2 lbs. sal-soda, 1 lb. pulverized rosin, 8 oz. salt; put these into 5 gallons soft water over a fire until dissolved; then put the same into a barrel, and fill it with cold water, after which add 2 oz. spirits of turpentine, and stir while cooling.

(Note:”Sal-soda” is aka “Washing Soda”, “Soda crystals”, or “Sodium Carbonate”.)

429. ENGLISH BAR SOAP

Take of water 6 gallons, good stone lime 3 lbs., sal-soda 20 lbs., borax 4 oz., fat 15 lbs., (tallow is best,) pulverized rosin 10 lbs., and 4 oz. of beeswax; put the water in a kettle on the fire, and when nearly boiling, add the lime and sal-soda; when these are dissolved, add the borax, boil gently and stir until this is also dissolved, then add the fat, rosin and beeswax, and boil all very gently until it shows flaky on the stick, then pour into moulds.

430. BROWN WINDSOR SOAP

This is made by colouring the English bar soap with the precipitate of iron, Venetian red, or vandyke brown, and scenting while not too hot with any of the essential oils, or a mixture of them according to fancy.

431. YELLOW SOAP

This is made in the same way as the English bar soap, except that you add three percent of palm oil, deducting the same amount of fat.

And while we’re at it, a recipe for candles. I don’t know if you’re suppose to pour the result into molds or to use with dipping as with beeswax; you’ll have to experiment, I imagine.

432. SOLID LARD CANDLES

Dissolve 1/4 lb. of alum, and 1/4 lb. of saltpetre in 1/2 a pint of water on a slow fire; then take 3 lbs. of lard cut into small pieces, and put into the pot with this solution, stirring it constantly over a very moderate fire until the lard is all dissolved; then let it simmer until all steam ceases to rise, and then at once remove it from the fire. If you leave it too long it will become discoloured. These candles are harder and better than tallow.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum