STORAGE-in attic?

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sandlapper3

Is there anything that could be stored in a HOT Southern attic? Thought about t/paper and paper towels. Didn’t know if the heat would damage the paper or not. Storage space is very limited.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by ReadyMom.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by ReadyMom. Reason: Edited Thread Title

One of my big, big dilemmas is trying to find places to store everything. For example, I want to start reloading. So, where do set up a reloading press, etc? We have a small room off of the garage…but it is full of holiday decorations. There is no way that I can get into it, not to mention the creepiness of working with my back to a 5′ foot tall animated butler holding a severed head on a silver platter (I love Halloween). It gets worse: there is so much stuff in our garage that I cannot even get to our generator without mining/spelunking.

So, I decided to try and open up some new storage space in the attic. Our house came with a small storage space to the front of the attic: about 100 square feet and it was crammed already. It was way crammed. However, the rest of the attic was unused.

I looked about for some different solutions to adding some decking to the attic. I considered plywood, but I would have to cut the sheets into fairly small pieces in order to be able to carry them up the ladder. Plus, some of the plywood that we have up there is squishy, so to speak, and I wanted something sturdier. I considered laying out a bunch of 2 x 4’s or such, but I did not want to stress the ceiling with undo weight. Home Depot has an Attic Dek (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100482718/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053) that covers about 26 square feet for $111…kinda expensive. Then I found EZ attic: http://www.ezattic.com/ It is basically a roll of heavy duty bamboo. It cost $40 a roll and each roll is 4′ x 6′, covering a total of 24 square feet. According to the distributor, it can hold up to 200 pounds per square inch: they have a picture of a Harley sitting on a roll of it (why you would have a motorcycle in your attic is beyond me). I ordered three rolls and then discovered the downside: S&H. They charge $25.75 to ship, to me, one $39.95 roll. Total cost is $65.70, and no, the cost does not seem to go down with multiple rolls. However, $65 for 24 square feet still seems to me to be a better deal than $111 for 26 square feet (the Home Depot product).

We already had an electrical outlet in the attic, so I secured a power strip to a rafter near it, ran out an extension cord and hooked up some clamp work lights with energy efficient 90 watt flood bulbs. Now with light to work by I set up path with 2 x 4’s [attachment=2:390wke8z]P6220303.JPG[/attachment:390wke8z]
    The path leads to the the area over the garage, which is the part of the attic with the least obstructions. There I set up the EZ attic. It came in pretty manageable rolls with a canvas carrying case. The carrying case is very cheap, but it did the job of getting the roll to the right spot. I rolled out the roll over the rafters and hammered in a few nails (large staples) that came with the roll. I will have to put in a few more nails latter, in the middle where one roll tried to slide off of a rafter.[attachment=1:390wke8z]P6220305.JPG[/attachment:390wke8z]
    Altogether, this seems to be working out pretty good. I have actually started to store stuff directly on top of rafters that I can reach from the platform of the EZ attic (dangerous, I know, but I am just placing there light items, like bundles of toilet paper, empty gun boxes, and large bins that cannot fall between the beams).[attachment=0:390wke8z]P6220302.JPG[/attachment:390wke8z]

In terms of prepping, this has been a boon. Everything that I think will not be harmed by the heat is going up there. I have some water, a propane heater (no propane), a large fan, toiletries, and my roof repair kit (a bunch of tarps, nail, hammers, etc). I had much of this up there previously, but it was so chaotic that I could not get to it. Also, if worse comes to worse and we have to flee to the attic in case of a zombie invasion or flooding (more likely flooding, I live just a few miles from the Mississippi River) we will now have a place to sit. I keep a fireman’s axe in the attic, and a flash light and AM/FM/SW radio. I think that I will toss a few Mainstay rations up there too.

ReadyMom

I’ve got an above-garage crawl space where I’ve had toilet paper, paper towels and plastic jugs & bottles stored for nearly 10 years!

Paper products seem fine (as long as mice don’t get at them. BUT … the plastic bottles did not store as well. At least NOT the gallon milk jugs. I was storing them for GREY water (Non-consumable water, like cleaning). Those jugs are NOT made for storage of any kind due to the type of plastic used. They get VERY brittle and crack easily. On the other hand, I have also been storing the jugs from laundry detergent and fabric softener (for ‘grey’ water) and they have stored well, in that space. I have NOT noticed any deterioration of the jugs yet.

While ReadyMom, I read your post and made a bee line to my crawl space in the garage all my toilet paper, paper towels, kleenx, napkins, etc. are OK. I checked the plastic kitchen wear, plastic cups, sterifoam coffee cups, plastic wrap, plastic qt and gallon bags are OK too. But my plastic soda bottles, gallon water jugs and water bottles are toast, they all cracked when I squeezed them, had to take them to the recycle bins down town.

I’ll have to start to collect more and but them in the basement, if I can find room since it’s full of caned goods and the root cellar is full also.

I know, I’ll hang them from the ceiling in the basement, the wife will get a kick out of that!!!!!!!

ReadyMom

So glad that bumping this thread helped! Just imagine, if you had NOT gone and checked your jugs, you would still be thinking that you were just fine with future water storage … till you went to use them and they were breaking!

For others (especially the newbies that are just learning), it’s a good example of how necessary it is to check your preps every now & then to make sure that all is well and they will still function, when they are needed! I know I thought that I was fine with a couple hundred gallon milk jugs for ‘grey’ water and then found that I pretty much had NOTHING! Now, all I save is the laundry detergent, fabric softener and 2 liter/3 liter soda bottles! (So far, so good on my soda bottles!)

TRex2
    Participant

Might want to make a note of which numbers (in the little recycling triangle) appear on the water (and other) jugs that did not store well, and which numbers appear on those detergent bottles.

I just checked my detergent bottles, which are showing some deterioration after 20 years, and they say 2-HDPE. They are probably good for another few years.

Virtually all plastics have a life expectancy, which is shortened by high temperatures and radially shortened by sunlight. Some are worse than others. I sometimes wonder how all the stuff people have vacuum sealed and stored away will be good for.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by TRex2.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum