storing cheese

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    wareagle69

so other than canned cheese and powdered cheese (mac cheese) how would one store cheese long term? i have tried to feeze it, but it was very crumby when i went to use it, butter i buy soy so it stores well in a cold cellar but i like cheese
    thanks
    wareagle

idahobob

We have been canning cheese pretty much the same way as we can butter.

We will see how it does in the long run. Theoretically, it should do just fine.

Bob
    III

mmpaints
    Participant

Ah, I’ve tried a couple different things ans the best way I have found to store it is to wax it heavily and keep it like I do for aging cheese. The problem with trying to store cheese is this- it keeps aging and the longer it store, the sharper it becomes and the less moisture it has when you eat it. think of parmesan or romano cheese. Those 2 are both aged for as long as a year. I just have not found a way to store cheese and have it come out tasting and eating like it did when I put it in there for storage.

kymber

cheese. i love cheese.

Hansel1

Try pickling it. Yes the same way as pickles. You also can store cheese by filling the container with virgin olive oil and even can add some herbs to it. I have had cheese that was several years old stored in olive oil and it was still tasty. Another way is to salt the outside crust. Farmers used to store cheese that way up to a year or two but it requires a lot of attention and a constant temperature enviroment such as a deep root or stone cellar (sand stone cellar is best).
    The best way for having cheese is actually pretty easy get a couple of sheep and goats and make your own.

John

mmpaints
    Participant

With that I agree. When I was using the milk from the brow swiss cows, I just made cheese whenever I wanted it. My first round of baby goats is due very soon and I will try my hand at goat cheese. Yes, i do understand that keeping a cow, even a small cow, isn’t an option for urban dwellers but fresh milk is the only way to drink milk. You really will be amazed at the difference between fresh and the garbage you buy at the store.

D_Loki
    Participant

OH OH the brain is creaking…………………..Goats………Goats milk……………cheese………..preserving cheese……………………
    pickling……….brining……………

FETA FETA FETA FETA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wingnut

Pickled cheese, I thoght I had heard it all, but I was wrong

ponymama44

picks up the chant – feta feta feta…..

Hansel1

I used to eat pickled cheese when I was a child, the exact composition of the brime will need to be discovered but I foundly remember the delicate taste of the cheese balls we had in the 20gal stone jar in the root cellar.

John

anna40

My cheese solution… I have blocks of waxed cheese (about 20 pounds) of gouda and cheddar on the back of the bottom shelf of my refrigerator. I purchased it online and was shipped to my home. As long as it is in the fridge it will last forever. If there is a problem and we have no electricity, i will then hang it in a net in a cool, dark place and it can last easily for a couple of years. I also have mozzerella freeze dried cheese since that doesnt wax well.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum