The Glory of Hard Tack

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I was watching a video yesterday about hard tack. As you probably already know, it is a really thick cracker that was part of the rations of Civil War soldiers.

Turns out, it is very durable. Can last up to 50 years or more if stored in dry cool conditions. In fact, they have, in museums piece of the actual hard tack carried by Civil War soldiers and they claim that these are still edible (they may have a different definition of “edible” than I do 🙂 )

At any rate, it’s just 4 cups of flour, two cups water and about 3 teaspoons of salt. It’s rolled out to about a half inch thickness, pierced with a fork, cut into squares baked on ungreased cookie sheet on both sides for 28 minutes each side at 370 degrees.

It is really hard and can actually break your teeth, so they say you have to soak it in water or milk for around 15-20 min and then you can fry it in butter or pork fat making it easier to eat.

I thought was interesting as a longer food storage item. It’s cheap and easy to make and stores for a long time.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum