The Hot Zone

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Illini Warrior 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

joefreedom
    Participant

I just finished watching “The Hot Zone” on Nat. Geo. and it really has me thinking about the potential for these types of issues to hit home and spread quickly. The Hot Zone was based on real events of ebola and its landing on U.S. soil.

Right now in Africa there is an outbreak, uncontrolled of ebola.

So my question is this. What is your preppers advice on an outbreak like ebola?

Thanks to everyone and I appreciate the ideas.

Joe Freedom

Cin
    Participant

Everything this woman did:

https://www.cnn.com/2014/09/25/health/ebola-fatu-family/index.html

To paraphrase for those who have slow connections and can’t click through:

Black trash bags (lots)
    Rubber bands
    Stockings (for hair)
    Raincoat
    Gloves (lots, 4 pairs each round)
    Rubber boots
    Masks

Put trash bags over feet and knot, use rubber bands to hold the bags around your calves, put on rubber boots, put another trash bag over them, hold with rubber bands. Put hair in stocking cap, cover with trash bag and knot or rubber band. Put on raincoat and 4 pairs of gloves, and then a mask.

The woman did this four times a day, discarding all of the trash bags, gloves and masks each time.

I’m sure she sanitized the raincoat and boots for re-use, although it doesn’t say.

She was also a nursing student and was able to start intravenous lines on her patients and give them meds she’d received from a local clinic. The article doesn’t specify the meds.

There are cheap raincoat items in the camping section of stores, perhaps stock up on those and the other items, for an emergency virus outbreak.

joefreedom
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.

I think that is a great list.

I might think duct tape too????

I have been lucky enough to have a friendship with a local safety equipment company who has donated lots of stuff for my search and rescue team. They gave me some “special” items for my preps, Including LOTS of surgical and industrial gloves, disposable masks and a nice respirator mask with extra high quality filters.

Thanks again for the response. I appreciate it.

Joe

Cin
    Participant

We just bought two Tyvek suits at Lowe’s to add to our biohazard preps. I was telling Husband about the raincoat, and we looked at those cheap plastic ones you buy to throw in the camp gear, and they just seemed too flimsy. Not sure if Tyvek is bio-hazard-proof, but we can cover it with trash bags as an extra layer.

sazigys
    Participant

Love to comment on Google it.

Illini Warrior
    Participant

We just bought two Tyvek suits at Lowe’s to add to our biohazard preps. I was telling Husband about the raincoat, and we looked at those cheap plastic ones you buy to throw in the camp gear, and they just seemed too flimsy. Not sure if Tyvek is bio-hazard-proof, but we can cover it with trash bags as an extra layer.

Tyvek suits will do (make sure it’s a full “coverall” including hoods) >>> but for the same $$$ you can get the Dupont cousin material Tychem which is a finer “weave” and better virus resistance – it’s what the pros use for disposable gear…

make sure to have elbow length chem resistant gloves – tite hugging high chem resistance boots – full face cartridge respirator – doesn’t hurt to have military elbow & knee pads to reduce chance cuts/rips >>>>> plenty of decent quality duct tape to seal all the joining joints of your protective suit …

not seen mentioned is tons & tons of disinfecting & soaps/cleaners (can’t have toooooo much) – ready mixed chlorine bleach – dry pool shock (calcium chloride) for mixing more >>> dry & liquid soaps for cleaning & bug killing – plenty of hand/body wash quality soaps >>>> often left off pandemic lists are applicators – quart hand sprayers and the garden type pump up sprayers for the bigger jobs >>> other items not mentioned enough and stock heavy is disposable wipes of every kind – garbage bags to hold all the contaminated crap …

Cin
    Participant

Good info, Illini. I will make a list to acquire these items we do not have. (We have a lot of this stuff already).

We have the cartridge respirators, the duct tape, hand sanitizer in gallon jugs, plenty of the different soaps you mentioned – hand, anti-microbial, body wash, etc., liquid chlorine bleach, chlorine tablets, chlorine powder, dry pool shock, spray bottles, and several garden style hand pump sprayers. And yes, I have lots of disposable wipes (each car even has a package), and garbage bags galore. Also, I buy zipper and storage bags at case lot sales, I still have some from 5 or 6 years ago.

I’m debating setting up a small haz-mat container for when we are traveling. Had an acquaintance who stopped at an accident scene and had to use his shirt to stop the bleeding on a severely injured person. Since then, I keep battle bandages in the car along with a rudimentary first aid kit. Wondering if I should up the game a little, as Husband and I will be traveling off and on for the next year or so (just some long vacations we were never able to do before). Never know what crisis you might run into, for yourself or others.

Illini Warrior
    Participant

Good info, Illini. I will make a list to acquire these items we do not have. (We have a lot of this stuff already).

keep in mind that pandemic supplies & gear almost doubles down to every single item for nuke/radiation SHTFs as well >>> add a $100 rad meter to the gear for that one …

worse thing about both is that they will turn to mostly hindering SHTF obstacles compared to the other more serious SHTFs that will be started & compound because of them >>> you can protect yourself from exposure but you’ll have grid down eventually, food shortages and the violence involved will be off the meter …

good thing is that neither is likely to sneak up on you – you’ll see a nuke exchange coming and hear about some deadly flu killer far enough ahead that you can take cover …

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum