Water

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Uvajed

We are rural, live in ‘Eskimo land’ as my daughter likes to say. I’ve researched hand pumps, on the list. But, regarding those 55 gallon rainwater drums (I don’t have them yet). What to do with them in winter when the temps reach freezing, or worse, -20°? It’s not like you can move them unless you have heavy equipment, or transfer the water to manageable containers.

kymber

Uvajed – where are you living?

Uvajed

@kymber wrote:

Uvajed – where are you living?

East Central Wisconsin

kymber

bahahahha! sorry – when you mentioned “Eskimo land” i thought you were way up north!

roolu
    Participant

I have seen on other forums a storage shelf built just for those drums. It holds 3 drums per shelf unit, and they are stackable. Goes right along an enterior wall. Keeps water handy and uses little space. A gal with a handy carpenter husband could whip one out in no time. use one to gather water from rain, transfer the water to the indoor jug IMHO. A bit of a chore, but doable.

D_Loki
    Participant

Living ‘up north’ like you do, the best advise is to drain the barrels each fall. They will be damn near impossible to move full and you won’t need them for watering in the winter or the spring (as the snow melts and saturates the soil). By NOT draining them you risk damage to the barrels. If you MUST keep them filled for emergency water, either move them to a garage, wrap in water heater bag, or use electric heat tape as would be used on roofs to prevent ice build-up. Make sure the valves are clear or removed as these are the most expensive replacement part that can be damaged by freezing. Also make sure the barrels are not filled to capacity. Leave no more than 3/4 of the barrel full to allow for expansion of the ice. Just my few ideas.

Uvajed

@kymber wrote:

bahahahha! sorry – when you mentioned “Eskimo land” i thought you were way up north!

My daughter, retired Army, was in Iraq and it was 130° when she made that comment. She’s in Kentucky now, and still hates the cold.

IceFire

Why would a gal need a handy carpenter husband, when she can lear to do it herself? My Mama always told me “Learn to do it yourself, honey, because either:

a) there’s never a man around when you need one (my Dad was a career Navy man, and usually out to sea when “stuff” happened); or

b) you can’t get him to do it anyway.

Mother is a VERY wise woman!

rattfink

@Uvajed wrote:

My daughter, retired Army, was in Iraq and it was 130° when she made that comment. She’s in Kentucky now, and still hates the cold.

Small world. That’s where my family and I live (in Louisville).

Uvajed

rattfink, they’re in Oak Grove, north of Clarksville, stationed at Ft. Campbell.

kymber

@Uvajed wrote:

@kymber wrote:

Uvajed – thank your daughter for her service!!!

mmpaints
    Participant

How to keep the rain barrel from freezing. yep, that’s tough. I keep my rain barrel insulated the best I can with straw bales when it starts getting cold. I tried building a box around it and isulating it with newspaper but that didn’t work as well as the strawbales do. When it get’s -20 tho, they freeze here anyway. Since my root cellar is still not finished, I can’t say I keep one in there but when I do get it finished, I’m gonna put one down there with a hand pump on it.

D_Loki
    Participant

After some serious thought about this, and since I am planning my own rain barrel system for this spring, I came up with an idea, but it is not without added cost or the need for some plumbing experience. If you were to place another barrel inside (be it garage shed or house), plumbed to the outside barrels and installed a small circulating pump you would not need a heater of any kind. The outside water would be cold (say 35-40 F) but it shouldn’t freeze. It might be more work, involve putting a hole in a wall, using a small amount of electricity, but if it were necessary for your rain barrels to remain ice free, it might be worth it to you. I would still insulate the outside barrels as well for added insurance.

roolu
    Participant

@IceFire wrote:

Why would a gal need a handy carpenter husband, when she can lear to do it herself? My Mama always told me “Learn to do it yourself, honey, because either:

a) there’s never a man around when you need one (my Dad was a career Navy man, and usually out to sea when “stuff” happened); or

b) you can’t get him to do it anyway.

Mother is a VERY wise woman!

Wise indeed!

kymber

IceFire’s Mother was a very wise woman….and passed it on to IF….nice to chat with you the other night IF…and you had jambaloney in fits of laughter!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum