Welcome Ladies!

This topic contains 122 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Vina8 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 123 total)
  • Author

kymber

Marica – no need to wonder why it’s the most ACTIVE eh? bahahahaha!

GreenGlove – i sure hope that migraines go away at the end of menopause. i have been dealing with migraines since i was a child – it really bites!!!

as for bra patterns…..hmmm….never thought of that….gonna go search the net right now!

Empress

I’ve been considering switching to Corsets ’cause I an find patterns for them. But I bet you could create your own if you find a Bra you like and build a pattern from it. 9not that I’m that good, but I HEAR it’s easy :floppytongue: )

Vina8

Green Glove, have you considered buying or making a “sports bra”. It wouldn’t have so much “construction.”

GreenGlove

Sports bras have their place for sure. Corsets? Never even thought of it.
    If the day comes that we don’t have access to elastic and latex, what can be made of non-stretch type fabric that would work? Corsets would fall into that category.
    Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll do some more research and pass on what I find, and keep checking beck for more ideas.
    I can fillet very well, but have never shucked anything but an ear of corn. I’m willing to learn! I do enjoy a live hockey game.

Marica

@kymber wrote:

Marica – no need to wonder why it’s the most ACTIVE eh? bahahahaha!

GreenGlove – i sure hope that migraines go away at the end of menopause. i have been dealing with migraines since i was a child – it really bites!!!

as for bra patterns…..hmmm….never thought of that….gonna go search the net right now!

Oh brother.

Did someone already suggest this? Why not DEconstruct a bra you like that fits well into its “pattern” pieces? Make a mock-up in muslem (geeze, I’m so used to seeing “muslim” in the blogosphere that I forgot how to spell that simple cotton fabric– and too lazy to look it up) and some left over elastic or whatever. … Tailor it to be THE perfect fit.

UPDATE: If you figured out how to do this, you could make a killing. I mean really, who has ever found THE perfect bra? How much would women pay for THE perfect bra? (I got up at 4am, traveled 4 hours, sat 2, traveled back home. I’m tired. Sorry.)

Vina8

I can remember my grandma and aunts when I was a kid never wore “brassieres”. They wore full slips under a cotton house dress and a full apron. When one of her adult daughters tried to get my aunt to wear a bra, she wouldn’t hear of it for “they are just too uncomfortable.” At the time I thought she was silly and old fashioned… :shakeno:

I loved how functional those aprons were. The women always had a couple of safety pins on them so they were handy when needed. The apron had big pockets for all kinds of things and could be folded up to carry in garden produce, eggs, potatoes from the root cellar etc. :offtopic: I know, I know. It is just that I am old and like to reminisce. I may make myself one of those aprons!

Marica

MtM. This is what I remember too. And the old ladies NEVER wore stockings in the summer, except for church. To all you youngersters, this is no big deal, but there was a time when a lady never left home w/ her stockings. And my! What lovely purple veins they had! (and those toenails. whew.) Those house dresses were awesome. And remember the powder? And clip earrings? Enough. We are showing our age.

Vina8

Marica mentioned powder. Remember when TSHTF, you can use corn starch for powder. And vanilla to smell good. Mom and I still laugh about her story of when she was a pre-teen, someone told her that if she put chicken s–t on her breasts, it would help make them grow–and she did it! She and her brothers and sisters went barefoot all summer, and when they would get a bruised foot they would look for a fresh, warm, cow pie to put their sore foot into. (The chicken s–t didn’t work, the cow s–t did!)

Marica

@mountainmama wrote:

Marica mentioned powder. Remember when TSHTF, you can use corn starch for powder. And vanilla to smell good. Mom and I still laugh about her story of when she was a pre-teen, someone told her that if she put chicken s–t on her breasts, it would help make them grow–and she did it! She and her brothers and sisters went barefoot all summer, and when they would get a bruised foot they would look for a fresh, warm, cow pie to put their sore foot into. (The chicken s–t didn’t work, the cow s–t did!)

O.k. seriously, I have come across a melon

Plum Granny (Dudaim Group)
    75 days — Also known as ‘Queen Anne’s Pocket Melon’, ‘Vine Pomegranate’ and ‘Perfume Melon’. A very fragrant heirloom. According to Amy Goldman in her book, “Melons for the Passionate Grower,” this variety has been know for at least 1000 years. Used in the Victorian-era as a perfume to mask body odor by carrying in pockets and purses.

The skin of the apple-sized fruit are yellow with deep orange-red stripes and white flesh. They are edible and some folks like the flavor. They are kind of like a cucumber without the crunch. One or two melons fill a room with their perfume. Our stock comes from David Pendergrass, whose grandmother raised these melons for years. About 75 seeds per gram.

Humm.

Vina8

Okay, Marica. You got me on that one. Never heard of it, but now I am curious.

kymber

@mountainmama wrote:

MtnMama – teeheehee! your story made me think of my sister. my father told her that eating raw onions would make her boobs grow super big – she HATED onions! i gotta say tho…i never saw a kid eating so many onions!!! none of us knew why she was always pulling onions from the garden, peeling and rinsing them and then crying and choking them down. none of us could get her to stop either. till my mother finally got it out of her. we laughed about that one for years!

as for putting your feet in chicken and cow poop – whenever we fell down or got cut – our parents would “eye measure” the cut – anything needing less than 10 stitches and we went and stood in the ocean (making sure the cut was in the actual water) for 10 mins and then the cut was dried off, some sugar was poured over it and the dog was called to lick it. uh-huh. not a word of lie!!! i sure do wish we had of known about the cow poop thing!!!!

kymber

@marica wrote:

@mountainmama wrote:

O.k. seriously, I have come across a melon

Plum Granny (Dudaim Group)
    75 days — Also known as ‘Queen Anne’s Pocket Melon’, ‘Vine Pomegranate’ and ‘Perfume Melon’. A very fragrant heirloom. According to Amy Goldman in her book, “Melons for the Passionate Grower,” this variety has been know for at least 1000 years. Used in the Victorian-era as a perfume to mask body odor by carrying in pockets and purses.

The skin of the apple-sized fruit are yellow with deep orange-red stripes and white flesh. They are edible and some folks like the flavor. They are kind of like a cucumber without the crunch. One or two melons fill a room with their perfume. Our stock comes from David Pendergrass, whose grandmother raised these melons for years. About 75 seeds per gram.

Humm.

looks like i’ll be growing some melons this year – bahahahahah! thanks for sharing that Marica!!!

GreenGlove

Some people say the plumgranny is inedible, some say it makes good jam. The scent is supposed to be wonderful. A plumgranny search brings up more “hits” than one might expect on Dogpile – now that is my favorite search engine.
    I do have seeds from a fellow who got them in turn from an elderly neighbor, and I am sure it is the same melon, from how he described it. I need to select a good planting spot.
    About bras, I have found a few sites, but they mostly assume we have full access to all kinds of material.
    i.e. http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3729/the-bra-dilemma-solved” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false
    I find the business of an earlier generation not using them at all, but a stout apron instead a great idea. I am willing to take a page from experience, really. My favorite apron is starting to look shabby :'( , and it came from a Mennonite relief sale years ago.
    Does anyone else know of alternatives that have been successfully used through history? There is likely a lot.
    There are other sources for info, and I do have fun browsing the instructables website, for it is for do-it-yourself people, that’s what most Preppers seem to be at heart. Still, I was surprised when this link came up in my search.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Patternmaking-tips-for-Bras/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false
    There are so may possibilities. I love it.

Happy Valentines Days. My sweetie gave me a massage! :ilove: Yes I am :offtopic:

Vina8

Other than the full slip and the full apron I mentioned earlier, the only other alternative I am aware of was something my grandmother told us about. Back in the 1920’s the girls would “wrap” their breasts in wide bands of cloth. I guess that kept them from jiggling too much and made them fit that flapper silhouette. Never would work for me! :unsure:

GreenGlove

Corn starch is a good powder, and not that hard to make yourself if you have access and can spare it from food supplies. Dried whole corn meal is the easiest to start with. Take two cups of meal and mix it in about 4 cups of water, let stand about half an hour, mix again, then drain off the water through cheesecloth or other fine mesh, wring gently it if it is in cheesecloth and keep that fluid. I prefer to use a stainless steel bowl, but any bowl large enough will do. Go ahead and use the corn meal in bread or whatever. You lose a little nutrition, it’s true. Use another 2 cups of corn meal that have not been rinsed to cook with it and it will work better.
    Now, the cloudy water that came off the meal, let it settle overnight. There will be a cloudy residue on the bottom, clear water on top in the morning. Spoon off the clear water on top without disturbing the white cloud, and stop spooning when you get close to the cloud. Dry the rest off not heating it, and this *is* corn starch. Good enough to use, not a large quantity.
    One of the reasons we buy what we do is to save time. This is a good illustration of that.
    Around here, I think I would go dig up a kudzu root to make starch. Similar process from the chunked up root cooked and wrung out. I don’t know if the pulp could be given to the pigs and chickens, but it is likely. Kudzu is not toxic at all, and it’s young sprouts are good greens to cook and eat, the dried tops fair cattle fodder. It is just out to take over the world here and some use of it now could knock it back a little.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudzu” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false
    Is this the right location for this information? 😕

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum